What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Was 30 degF on my 20 mile test. Think I shoulda bought heated grips instead!  Just getting feeling back now... Ouch.

cb

I had never used heated grips before this bike, now I dont know how I ever lived without them.

They are expensive but worth every penny.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

i think they also employ all the dissidents and minorities they imprison .

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

3 hours ago, mellow said:

Added a net to my top box and hooked up power to charge my phone and a switched led light.

That net in the top-box lid is a great help while on the road, ensures that stuff in the lid doesn't end-up on the ground each time you open the box!   I've done the same on several past top-boxes.   To go further I also pack into the lid stuff that's likely to be less used.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Someone here recently and kindly referred to a rear light assembly that incorporates the indicators in the body of the light - that might be the answer to a maiden's prayer for me as I could then proceed with that shorter tail-tidy without pumpkins getting in the way.

As I'm almost (temporarily) blind at present I cannot find that reference: a link to the vendor would be very much appreciated. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 hour ago, rustyshackles said:

Thanks a lot, rusty.   That truly does look like a seriously good piece of kit - very impressive too, as is the vendor's website.

Before I saw rusty's helpful link above I had been giving a lot of thought to my 'dilemma'.   Which is simply that the OE pumpkin indicators do not allow OE hard panniers to be fitted - they interfere with them.   Also, I'd like to install some form of tail-tidy to remove that hideous 'crane' from the rear.

I have on order a very neat rear luggage rack, one that I'd fitted to earlier Tracers.   It occurred to me that it would probably be pretty simple to mount the pumpkins on this rack, in a neat manner, making it then possible to fit the panniers as and when needed.   The tail-tidy, without pumpkins, would then also come into its own, or I could take ulewz's early low-cost DIY approach to relocating the existing rear light assembly sans the crane.

Using this rack would also give a minor bonus and put the indicators a few inches higher, not a bad thing.

Here's the rack (unassembled) - I'm sure many of you have one fitted.   As you can see it has many holes, slots, and other openings to which it would be very easy to attach a small bracket to take the rubber stem of the pumpkin on either side. 

Unfortunately I have no pix of one of these racks on a bike, for my camera's SD card decided to suicide a few days ago - I have irretrievably lost about three years' worth of pix, many irreplaceable.

P1040975.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

10 hours ago, mellow said:

Added a net to my top box and hooked up power to charge my phone and a switched led light.

How did you attach the net @mellow?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

38 minutes ago, BBB said:

There are 2 existing screws at the top, just wrapped the net around them and tightened them back down.  The lower part I heated a nail to cut a slot for a zip tie, the was an existing ridge where the slot was cut.

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Before I saw rusty's helpful link above I had been giving a lot of thought to my 'dilemma'.   Which is simply that the OE pumpkin indicators do not allow OE hard panniers to be fitted - they interfere with them.   Also, I'd like to install some form of tail-tidy to remove that hideous 'crane' from the rear.

I have on order a very neat rear luggage rack, one that I'd fitted to earlier Tracers.   It occurred to me that it would probably be pretty simple to mount the pumpkins on this rack, in a neat manner, making it then possible to fit the panniers as and when needed.   The tail-tidy, without pumpkins, would then also come into its own, or I could take ulewz's early low-cost DIY approach to relocating the existing rear light assembly sans the crane.

Using this rack would also give a minor bonus and put the indicators a few inches higher, not a bad thing.

@wordsmith - thats actually not a bad idea, there are enough holes on that rack that you could creatively adapt something.  The rubber mount is a very specific size and shape though.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

47 minutes ago, betoney said:

@wordsmith - thats actually not a bad idea, there are enough holes on that rack that you could creatively adapt something.  The rubber mount is a very specific size and shape though.

That's a good point!   I'll take one of them off and have a good look.   Have done so before when installing the smaller LEDs, so I'm aware this is a bit fiddly, but it would be useful to see what's in store.

9 hours ago, BBB said:

If I may offer my approach (tho' it all depends on the type of top-box you have).   I had an el cheapo generic sort of box.  Around the inside of the lid opening - where it abuts the body of the lower part of the box - was a 'rib' or collar, presumably to stiffen the thing.   I simply drilled some fine holes at about (IIRC) 6"-8" centres, screwed-in some very small hooks from the local hardware store, stretched the net to fit - et violin!   Worked a treat.     

Here's an ancient pic from April 2014- in this early approach the trial 'net' was some sort of elastic rubber material, but mellow's is better, inexpensive too.   In this 'prototype' of mine the hooks were of the stick-on variety, but they didn't stick, so the screw-in metal ones were put in.

The bike here was a BMW F800 GT, a lovely little machine with belt-drive, but seriously under-powered.   Put a CP3 engine in and you'd have the perfect sports-tourer!   

P1000996.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

• Premium Member

My son came over to borrow the pressure washer. Showed him the tail tidy. He noticed the license plate light wasn't working. Hmm. I crossed a couple of wires. Not sure how that happened. They're color coded. Stupid. Switched them and still no luck. Connected the old light. Still no luck. Maybe a fuse? Took me 30 minutes to find the fuse. Blown. Stuck in a new one and we got lights! Had to go for a 3 hour test ride.

Sad part is I rode Wednesday without brake lights and didn't realize it. Lucky I didn't get rear ended.