What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Stew said:

If you knew how much the postage was, and it was worth the price, I'd be happy to get any bits like that for any Aussies and post them on.
The postage is probably the killer bit though, and I dunno how you'd work it out.
But the offer is there if it is any use.

Very kind of you Stew!

In my case I actually have a daughter and son in law that currently live in Essex so at a pinch I could trouble them to do the leg work for me.

However, there may be other of my countrymen and women who may take you up on that offer.

On a side note, I visited Scotland to attend the abovementioned daughter's wedding a couple of years ago (yes she married a bonnie Scot) and I believe the location was not too far away from where you are.  Comlongon Castle was the wedding venue in Dumfries over near Clarencefield.

Again, thanks for the kind offer.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

After you posted that, I went out and looked and yes, it does block access to the top half.  I guess that side will have to be removed every 25-26k miles.

Remember my post from yesterday on page 454 at about 1:51 where I explained how to get the access plug out with the 14 mm ball end and you gave me a thumbs-up on it

won't that work for you ?

all you need is a line of sight to the hex recess to get it out

Check it out, go back to my post from yesterday

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Remember my post from yesterday on page 454 at about 1:51 where I explained how to get the access plug out with the 14 mm ball end and you gave me a thumbs-up on it

won't that work for you ?

all you need is a line of sight to the hex recess to get it out

Check it out, go back to my post from yesterday

Yes, I haven't tried to get one in there yet. the bar is quite close to the case but a ball end should be able to fit in there, I dont own one to be able to check, I'll have to pick one up and see if it fits.

image.png.415be6a401fc34c2cd160b705633e8fe.png

image.png.62a4b86b680412bf872344669e918d20.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, betoney said:

...the bar is quite close to the case but a ball end should be able to fit in there...

image.png.62a4b86b680412bf872344669e918d20.png

Man, that is tight in there for both openings. I had to grind my 14mm hex pretty thin and far back to get it to fit under the Givi bar , but you might indeed have to remove the bar for valve maintenance... and that isn't that often, so no big deal really.

20200816_214457.thumb.jpg.842a4bc6eacd07665303cb2e2d06d0ab.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 8/15/2020 at 8:19 AM, Stew said:

Took the bike out to test the new Booster Plug.

Absolutely does everything I had hoped. And it is literally 10 minutes to fit (if you know how to get the side panel off) , as it plugs in on the left hand side on a 2015 Tracer 900 with no taking the tank off or anything.

Silky smooth running in all modes under 30mph in town, 3rd gear, rather than 2nd and hunting.

Tickover, I rode along at tickover in 1st (7mph) and 6th (27mph or 22mph I cant remember which) with no hunting.
Throttle on moving off and turning from a standstill is smooth in all 3 modes now.
I am so pleased with it, highly recommend it to anyone.

Yeah, I've put a couple thousand kms on mine now and am very pleased with it.  I actually unhooked it for a group ride just to really compare back, and was kind of unprepared for what a difference it made.  It got reconnected immediately afterwards and is staying permanently.  

I notice it a lot more when I'm riding with others, as then I ride like a normal person instead of like an asshole - I mean, it doesn't really matter how it is at very low speed if you're never at low speed!  

Also: for me, it makes absolutely no difference in average fuel economy.  While it's using more fuel at idle/partial throttle, that's only a small part of your riding and where the amount your adding 6-8% to is very small to start with.   

I guess it's also under WOT acceleration from a start, but that's somewhere you don't care about economy and also by necessity brief as you get to speed really fast.

Also #2: unexpected (but I guess shouldn't have been) the engine runs a fair bit cooler.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I notice it a lot more when I'm riding with others, as then I ride like a normal person instead of like an asshole - I mean, it doesn't really matter how it is at very low speed if you're never at low speed!

😄👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, piotrek said:

Man, that is tight in there for both openings. I had to grind my 14mm hex pretty thin and far back to get it to fit under the Givi bar , but you might indeed have to remove the bar for valve maintenance... and that isn't that often, so no big deal really.

20200816_214457.thumb.jpg.842a4bc6eacd07665303cb2e2d06d0ab.jpg

Yikes!  You really ground the heck out of that hex key!  I can see surface micro-fractures from the effect of stress relieving and / or overheating.

I just flattened the end of mine, as you can see in my photo, and it worked OK.  I've used it twice. Turning the crank is problematic but doable.

BTW, I use a straw that I marked at TDC & BDC that I run in the spark plug hole when checking the valves. I have a set of spark plug hole adapter for my dial indicator for setting timing for two smokes but they didn't have 10 mm spark plugs in the set 40 years ago LOL

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yikes!  You really ground the heck out of that hex key!... I just flattened the end of mine, as you can see in my photo, and it worked OK.  I've used it twice. Turning the crank is problematic but doable.

LOL... yes I did hack it up a bit, but wanted to retain most of the ball end on the tool so flattened it just a bit. Engagement is square and solid. It would not have been without the ground away section. I used a 19mm socket on a long 1/4" extension with an adapter and that works perfectly to turn the crank.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Burned a lot of petrol for 2 hours, and thats the bike booked in for it's BIG service , next Friday. Man, I've put a lot of miles on it considering I haven't actually been anywhere on it yet.

Oh, and worked on my chicken strips... getting there.....

20200819_145855.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

330 miles today. Woke up at 6, out the door at 7, home by 3. Time for a nap.

50245043138_c1a71bc91c_b.jpg

50245042448_6464604972_b.jpg

50245912407_251ec0bd34_b.jpg

I don't think I'll get much farther than that on the larger rear tire, I was scraping the pegs pretty bad, I need some better springs for my girth.

• Thumbsup 4

Scraping the pegs. Man, I am miles from scraping the pegs on mine. Mind you, I did notice that they don't have those hero blob things under them. Is it those that touch down first? Or do I need to lean even further over ;)
ofc I only weigh 130lbs dripping wet :)