What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

22 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Did faster and sleeker make you stray?  Now see what you're riding LOL

About a week after I bought the Super Chicken, I saw a Daytona 675 in the flesh. About a month later the Hawk was sold and I was the proud owner of a D675. The Hawk was giving me electrical troubles which is how I rationalized the quick sale. 

'15 FJ09

Easy day...

I replaced the stock horn with a PIAA 400Hz off the old FJR. Much better. I had a pair of PIAA's... 400 & 500Hz on the FJR.

Also ran a new SAE pigtail from the FZ1 fuse block to the front center of tank to electrify my tank bag.

Blue Lives Matter

• Premium Member

5 hours ago, betoney said:

I bought some lower engine crash bars from the U.K.  Ordered Tuesday afternoon and delivered within 72 hours.  It comes with a bag of hardware including new upper and lower engine mount bolts and the crash bobbins/sliders pictured. 

s-l400.jpg

They are simple to install and rely largely upon the existing mounting points...

Why did you go with those case guards versus the usual Givi 3 Point mount? They're actually more expensive and don't have the coverage nor can you mount lights to them as easily as the Givis

just asking

20191004_181911.jpg

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Why did you go with those case guards versus the usual Givi 3 Point mount? They're actually more expensive and don't have the coverage nor can you mount lights to them as easily as the Givis

just asking

I actually like the minimalist look while still offering case protection, I don't care for the look of the huge cage-like crash bars, at all.  I have no intention of mounting lights to them, I don't ride at night and already have bright DRL's.

One of the biggest reasons is, I like my bike to be different, and I don't know of anyone on this forum or FZ/MT/XSR forum who has the same bars. 😎

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, betoney said:

I bought some lower engine crash bars from the U.K.  Ordered Tuesday afternoon and delivered within 72 hours.  It comes with a bag of hardware including new upper and lower engine mount bolts and the crash bobbins/sliders pictured. 

s-l400.jpg

They are simple to install and rely largely upon the existing mounting points...

I really like those crash bars.  I too am reluctant to put big crash bars on my sport-tourer.  In your opinion, do the crash bobbins come our far enough to protect the plastic and other bits.

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

I really like those crash bars.  I too am reluctant to put big crash bars on my sport-tourer.  In your opinion, do the crash bobbins come our far enough to protect the plastic and other bits.

I'm not sure, I haven't installed them yet, I'll get to it tomorrow.  I have a few sets of sliders of different lengths I can try with the bars to experiment.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

I actually like the minimalist look while still offering case protection, I don't care for the look of the huge cage-like crash bars, at all. 😎

They do look quite slimline.  What are you doing about your highway pegs now?  Weren't you using a pair of crash bobbins on the front engine mounts for that purpose?  However, I guess you have the bars now to mount a pair of actual pegs to.

Looks good.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Running repair on rear indicator.  Shoddy workmanship methinks.  Yes I installed them.  🙄

Indicator.thumb.jpg.ec96e22cad21e4edc14ef0906ff2a7c9.jpgIndicator1.thumb.jpg.88f0c646773bf5bf4b30e9312eae1895.jpg

While repairing the above I happened to notice the screw holding the rear mudguard had partially backed itself out!  My bikes falling apart!  A quick once over the bike didn't show any others being loose so who knows?

Thankfully I carry a few essentials like electrical tape and a set of Allen Keys so no biggy.  Out of it though is a lesson to do a close 'once over' inspection every once in a while.

20200814_150312_resized.thumb.jpg.12fe795f9bb8c4cedf39e1df554ab403.jpg

Finally, my recently installed pannier lid nets 'in action'.

1480614026_Panniernets.thumb.jpg.907efae19258d913d623d63c93a339f2.jpg763227030_Panniernets1.thumb.jpg.389446c611b26c5caebcbf468c79cbf8.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Added this ebay cheapie wind deflector to my screen.  I was quite satisfied with my screen but was curious to see what a wind deflector would add to my riding comfort/experience after reading a few stories from others who have fitted them and the price was right so why not.

I must say that I was surprised at the quite dramatic effect that I got, both positive and negative.

Positive -  the airflow is at the very top of my Shoei GT air helmet which is perfect for the air vent that is located there while keeping my head out of the buffet zone.

Negative - I could hear the engine and exhaust much more clearly i.e. louder.  That wasn't a major issue but I was getting a kind of reverberation in my helmet at certain revs that was quite noticeable.  Not 100% sure it's from the deflector causing a pressure wave/turbulence? in the wrong spot but never noticed that effect before fitting it.

I've only just put it on and not adjusted it in different positions yet so I may still be able to fix the negative issue.  Of course there's the screen height to play with as well.

Anyone experienced that effect?

deflector.thumb.jpg.41fde3700f514c775b96c6e0a33123b4.jpgdeflector1.thumb.jpg.971007b99e73b77cfb75f06fd9530b95.jpg

I’ve not experienced the effect you mention @dazzler24, but just want to give you a heads up. If you are adjusting the angles when you’re out riding, make sure you’re on a clean surface when you stop. I tried to alter mine in a gravel car park, undid the adjusters, a piece flew off and I never saw it again! I had to bungee the screen to the back seat and buy another one when I got home.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

They do look quite slimline.  What are you doing about your highway pegs now?  Weren't you using a pair of crash bobbins on the front engine mounts for that purpose?  However, I guess you have the bars now to mount a pair of actual pegs to.

Looks good.

I have a few set of frame sliders of different lengths I might try with these and use them like I used to, if I dont like that setup, I might look at the type that attach to the tubular rails.

• Thumbsup 1

Took the bike out to test the new Booster Plug.

Absolutely does everything I had hoped. And it is literally 10 minutes to fit (if you know how to get the side panel off) , as it plugs in on the left hand side on a 2015 Tracer 900 with no taking the tank off or anything.

Silky smooth running in all modes under 30mph in town, 3rd gear, rather than 2nd and hunting.

Tickover, I rode along at tickover in 1st (7mph) and 6th (27mph or 22mph I cant remember which) with no hunting.
Throttle on moving off and turning from a standstill is smooth in all 3 modes now.
I am so pleased with it, highly recommend it to anyone.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, Stew said:

Tickover, I rode along at tickover in 1st (7mph) and 6th (27mph or 22mph I cant remember which) with no hunting.

I sure hope that was a one time test and not routine riding...

Glad to hear that the plug fixed the slow speed fueling, 👍  I have heard good reports on other forums as well.

Just now, betoney said:

I sure hope that was a one time test and not routine riding...

Glad to hear that the plug fixed the slow speed fueling, 👍  I have heard good reports on other forums as well.

I thought I'd put it through a proper test. Do not pull away in 6th from tickover, it will do it, but it feels horrible :)
It has transformed the bike for me, it's how it should have been from the factory.
Temp gauge was reading 3c , sweat pouring off me, I think it should have said 23c (80 something F)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1