What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

3 minutes ago, Stew said:

130lbs dripping wet :)

That has a lot to do with it, I'm around 250 plus another 40 of junk, gear, bags.

It's a tie between my toe and the feelers sometimes.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Just now, kilo3 said:

That has a lot to do with it, I'm around 250 plus another 40 of junk, gear, bags.

It's a tie between my toe and the feelers sometimes.

I think I'll try and find something to put in where the feelers/hero blobs go. Like really really long bolts, so I can make sparks :)

1 minute ago, Stew said:

I think I'll try and find something to put in where the feelers/hero blobs go. Like really really long bolts, so I can make sparks :)

The cool kids drill out the middle of their feelers with a small bit and stuff them with zippo flints stacked on top of each other.
I think knee draggers do that as well with their pucks.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Yikes!  I do NOT want to see you in a kilt, let alone shorts!

I look like a dart when I have a kilt on.
Always been super skinny, can't put weight on.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

The cool kids drill out the middle of their feelers with a small bit and stuff them with zippo flints stacked on top of each other.
I think knee draggers do that as well with their pucks.

Racing and track day rules (usually with the latter) prohibit anything that makes sparks as being a fire hazard (fuel vapor) and being distracting (like no brake lights).  Some boots had titanium toe sliders that had to be replaced with plastic.  Magnesium makes great sparks too, and burns like the dickens; water won't put it out.

I'm too old to drag anything anymore, it's hard enough to drag my sorry ass out of bed ITM.  Not inclined to on the FJ anyway, even with improved suspension and brakes.

BTW, in the "old days" before knee pucks and toe sliders, and also before dragging a knee was cool, we'd tape aluminum flat bits to our knee leathers and the toes of our boots with duct tape.  Personally, I did it because faster guys did it and in case of a get off, as slicks were just coming out and radials were off in the distance.  Hockey pucks had more grip.  Heck, drum brakes were still around albeit huge double leading shoe units with air scoops.  For the street, I remember running the very trick Dunlop K81s. 

I was a motorcycle courier in San Francisco in the early 70s and raced for SF Yamaha on weekends.  I remember waiting for the light two-thirds of the way up 17th St., heading over to the Haight for night classes at SFSU.  I realized I was going backwards down the hill.  I looked down to see if the drum brakes on my 58 BSA Goldstar (in a Rickman Metisse frame) were not holding but the wheels weren't turning; the tires were just sliding.  I slowly slid into the bumper of the cager behind me and stopped.  I turned around and gave the driver the thumbs-up.  You should have seen the look on his face.  When the light changed the nice guy waited until I took off.  I think Bill Cosby was on 17th St when he crafted this routine about driving his VW bug in SF.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Just got these neat little Pannier insert bags delivered.

Zippered on both sides and will fold up into a small size when not in use.  There's one inside pouch unzippered and one outside zippered pouch. Comes with built in adjustable shoulder straps.

Should make the luggage management that little bit easier and only have to take them off the bike rather than the whole pannier when staying somewhere.

Bags.thumb.jpg.3cc56e23530d1636c10e6476a1b7a3a5.jpgBag1.thumb.jpg.46eac8d8b7ce2924e0b0283f83faa98d.jpgBag2.thumb.jpg.2009e78a8b1fdcabb8d1bfbf0a59e3fa.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, dazzler24 said:

Should make the luggage management that little bit easier and only have to take them off the bike rather than the whole pannier when staying somewhere.

Agreed.  Having the inner bags makes life on the road SO much easier and more convenient.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Agreed.  Having the inner bags makes life on the road SO much easier and more convenient.

I have a set for my sh 36 shad panniers they were a bit expensive but worth it because they fit like a bug in a rug and have Side Pockets and carry straps

• Thumbsup 2

Rode 280km under 38c with 68% humidity which is a norm all year, now I realise the windshield (switch to puig) is not helping at all to cool body down, even unzip jacket by half, the shield is blocking the wind, need to standup to get some wind into my jacket! This Weekend am going to try by removing completely the shield and test ride, way too hot with shield on noon ride...errr... first time having a bike with high shield, new experienced.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, WKE002 said:

This Weekend am going to try by removing completely the shield and test ride, way too hot with shield on noon ride...errr... first time having a bike with high shield, new experienced.

In the summer I cant use a higher screen, I NEED lots of air flow, the dead still air just gets stifling, to me even warm air is better than no air flow.  I think you will find that a minimal screen  (or no screen) gives smooth, clean airflow.  

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I replace the OEM screen with an MRA screen that's about the same height as the OEM. I also bought the MRA sport screen that I use in the hot summer months. This combination works for me!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Just got these neat little Pannier insert bags delivered.

Zippered on both sides and will fold up into a small size when not in use.  There's one inside pouch unzippered and one outside zippered pouch. Comes with built in adjustable shoulder straps.

Bags.thumb.jpg.3cc56e23530d1636c10e6476a1b7a3a5.jpgBag1.thumb.jpg.46eac8d8b7ce2924e0b0283f83faa98d.jpgBag2.thumb.jpg.2009e78a8b1fdcabb8d1bfbf0a59e3fa.jpg

Dazzler24, been looking at these, with these,  one still need a  bracket/frame on the side right, to hold them together?

Went out for a long ride and suddenly noticed a whiny noise.  I had recently switched to the Puig windshield and at about 60mph exactly there is a noise that I imagine sounds like a dog whistle would to a dog.  I can’t tell if it’s a wind noise coming from the Puig or if it’s an engine thing.  It doesn’t matte the gear though which makes me think it’s a speed thing.  Switched helmets thinking maybe it was that, but it was the same with a different helmet.  Anyone else have the whiny noise at 60 plus?  I’m wondering if it’s been there the whole time and I just can’t hear it over the wind noise with stock shield.  Changing the height doesn’t change the volume or pitch.  Help?