What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

oh, and that wierdy brass bracket nut thing fits in a hole in the beak. In other news, after I put the bike together and got my gear on to go test it, the postman arrived with the spacers for the indicator! Arrrrgh, it is all coming off again tomorrow.
It's the crashbars that make it awkward, I reckon I could do it in 5 minutes now, both sides. Phillips Screwdriver and an Allen key, easy peasy.

17 hours ago, betoney said:

I bought some lower engine crash bars from the U.K.  Ordered Tuesday afternoon and delivered within 72 hours.  It comes with a bag of hardware including new upper and lower engine mount bolts and the crash bobbins/sliders pictured. 

s-l400.jpg

They are simple to install and rely largely upon the existing mounting points...

I like these. I assume they would fit a 2020 GT? I'm pretty sure they are all the same but I don't see that listed on RD Motos website.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:25 PM, betoney said:

I noticed you still have the first generation clutch cable with the 'kinks' in it.  Keep an eye on it as those are notorious for fraying inside the sheath, it may never happen but there were many reports where it did.  There was a revision with an -02- in the part number.

Fixed!

clutch_cable.jpg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, betoney said:

I actually like the minimalist look while still offering case protection, I don't care for the look of the huge cage-like crash bars, at all.  I have no intention of mounting lights to them, I don't ride at night and already have bright DRL's.

One of the biggest reasons is, I like my bike to be different, and I don't know of anyone on this forum or FZ/MT/XSR forum who has the same bars. 😎

I get it, so form over function to a certain extent.

It seems to be lower on the right side in front of the cam chain sprocket cover which is a good thing. No view on the left side. With the GV case cards on the left side blocks easy access to the crank access plug for checking and setting the valves. The little timing mark plug is not blocked at all.

On the left side of the GV in order to remove the crank access plug you need a 14 mm ball end hex key that's at least 4 in Long and then grind the end of it off flat leaving enough shoulder for depth of Engagement. Once the plug is out, a socket and two 3/8" wobble extensions and a ratchet enables turning the crank. 

Any sliders you attached to the case guard you selected will create a moment arm on the unit, levering it's movement upward in a tip over, which may then  bend inward.  Something that the third mounting point on the GV's significately help resist and alsodistribute the impact. The GV also protects the lower fairing side panels and frame.

20200815_132850.jpg

20200815_132829.jpg

20200815_132444.jpg

20200815_132726.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, betoney said:

I bought some lower engine crash bars from the U.K.  Ordered Tuesday afternoon and delivered within 72 hours.  It comes with a bag of hardware including new upper and lower engine mount bolts and the crash bobbins/sliders pictured. 

s-l400.jpg

They are simple to install and rely largely upon the existing mounting points...

This is why I love shopping online in the UK.  I get way faster shipping than US based shops (and cheaper too), and even faster shipping than Canadian shops.  

These are pretty nice - kind of half the Givi/Kappa bars, but covering the useful stuff vs. the SW-Motech bars which leave the vulnerable lower engine bitties vulnerable.  A nice lower profile option for those not into the bigger bars.

Edit: Cheaper too!

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, northsouth said:

I like these. I assume they would fit a 2020 GT? I'm pretty sure they are all the same but I don't see that listed on RD Motos website.

Yes.   The mounting points are the engine + control mounts, which haven't changed.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

This is why I love shopping online in the UK.  I get way faster shipping than US based shops (and cheaper too), and even faster shipping than Canadian shops.  

These are pretty nice - kind of half the Givi/Kappa bars, but covering the useful stuff vs. the SW-Motech bars which leave the vulnerable lower engine bitties vulnerable.  A nice lower profile option for those not into the bigger bars.

Edit: Cheaper too!

I'm glad you're all happy but I don't know about cheaper I see the GVs for 181 on one site and 189 on Amazon versus 229 for your abbreviated case guards

https://www.amazon.com/PARAMOTORE-TUBOLARE-SPECIFICO-GIVI-TN2122/dp/B016L4BW00

https://www.omniaracing.net/shopping_cart.php/en?pID=22413

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Sorry, you Canuks and the Aussies really get hosed...

When I bought my GV in 16 they were about $170 USD total.

Nah... we're good ...these same Givi bars are about the same price at FortNine, at $234 CAD with free shipping.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

Shortest. Ride. Ever.  

50 feet from the driveway, and it was apparent something was amiss...  steering like a truck, TCS flashing away.    Yes, that’s TWO separate nails in the same tire.  :( 

Time to play everyone’s favorite game: ‘Plug, Patch, Replace?’

CA850EEF-25B1-4213-917B-38E5CAA06651.thumb.jpeg.f3419804455382b3108c15fadfb613a8.jpeg

728790FA-3414-4864-8FF8-CF23A261693B.thumb.jpeg.fd3d6f2444340c4ebf73b3b00e0639b5.jpeg

1055126D-ED67-4CCD-9706-755DFF9BFF11.thumb.jpeg.07fb4c2e435f3885c537fce9a62b0dd4.jpeg

• Sad 2