What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, WKE002 said:

Dazzler24, been looking at these, with these,  one still need a  bracket/frame on the side right, to hold them together?

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  These bags are for the inside of the existing 22L hard Yamaha panniers.

They are a custom neat fit within the pannier.  Just makes things easier to manage IMHO.  When you get to your destination it's simply a matter of opening the hard pannier and taking the 'liner bag' into your accommodation while leaving the hardware still locked to your bike.

As others have mentioned, so much more convenient.

You may be thinking of soft panniers that do need a bracket to support them.

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Went out for a long ride and suddenly noticed a whiny noise.  I had recently switched to the Puig windshield and at about 60mph exactly there is a noise that I imagine sounds like a dog whistle would to a dog.  I can’t tell if it’s a wind noise coming from the Puig or if it’s an engine thing.  It doesn’t matte the gear though which makes me think it’s a speed thing.  Switched helmets thinking maybe it was that, but it was the same with a different helmet.  Anyone else have the whiny noise at 60 plus?  I’m wondering if it’s been there the whole time and I just can’t hear it over the wind noise with stock shield.  Changing the height doesn’t change the volume or pitch.  Help?

Try removing the windscreen and going for a quick ride.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 hours ago, betoney said:

Try removing the windscreen and going for a quick ride.

I strongly recommend this. It's shocking how no windshield or a small windshield can be quite pleasant. 

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ09

On 8/19/2020 at 2:28 PM, kilo3 said:

330 miles today. Woke up at 6, out the door at 7, home by 3. Time for a nap.

50245912407_251ec0bd34_b.jpg

I don't think I'll get much farther than that on the larger rear tire, I was scraping the pegs pretty bad, I need some better springs for my girth.

Mine's the same - strips like this on the rear while scraping steel.  My MT07 was like that too; can't get anywhere close to the edge of the tire.

Presumably because I'm pushing 300 lbs with gear, though, and still on the stock springs.

Looks like an awesome ride!

Edited by Wintersdark

On 8/19/2020 at 8:12 PM, dazzler24 said:

Just got these neat little Pannier insert bags delivered.

Zippered on both sides and will fold up into a small size when not in use.  There's one inside pouch unzippered and one outside zippered pouch. Comes with built in adjustable shoulder straps.

Should make the luggage management that little bit easier and only have to take them off the bike rather than the whole pannier when staying somewhere.

Got a source for these?

On 8/20/2020 at 8:41 AM, betoney said:

In the summer I cant use a higher screen, I NEED lots of air flow, the dead still air just gets stifling, to me even warm air is better than no air flow.  I think you will find that a minimal screen  (or no screen) gives smooth, clean airflow.  

Yeah, it's kind of funny.  I find the stock screen is kind of terrible here: It's short enough to direct all the wind at my helmet, but tall enough to keep the wind off my torso so I'm extra hot and so I can't lean on the wind pressure.

It keeps my chest bug free, though.  That's... Something.

7 hours ago, koth442 said:

I strongly recommend this. It's shocking how no windshield or a small windshield can be quite pleasant. 

Yeah.  TBH, I prefer either having a very large windscreen that keeps stuff out of my face, or basically none at all so I can just lean on the wind without buffeting or other such nonsense.  I really dislike the stock screen, but haven't found a short screen I like and isn't silly expensive.

34 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Maybe 25 bucks on eBay polycarbonate translucent but pretty dense fits like a glove

20170326_163142.jpg

Yeah.... For the FJ, not the new Tracer.  Mounts are different.   For the 2018+, they start at $100cdn :( 

I'm a big fan of the cheap ebay windscreens, too - I keep checking back in case some nice $25 ones appear, as they did for my MT07, but no luck so far.

• Supporting Member

11 hours ago, koth442 said:

Yep.  Took it off.  I’ve done it before, but just to test the noise again.  So I don’t hear the noise.  I know it’s a bit more noisy in general with no shield, but I think I can rule out the noise being from the Tracer.  I can hear the noise with the stock screen but only when I lean kind of over to the side.  Put the puig on and as soon as I get to 60 it’s like the right side of my helmet has a freaking bag pipe in it.  I noticed a flaw in the helmet that I think could be the culprit.  It’s a new scorpion, and I think you can see in the pics how the rubber seal on the right side is warped.  I can straighten it, but as soon as the visor gets opened it goes back to warped.  I have to think that the combination of the puig airflow and the bad seal make the noise happen.

99F924D1-DCE5-46CD-AD7B-3BCAC7A15465.jpeg

6C0EB98D-96FA-4833-84E9-1B067713B49D.jpeg

• Supporting Member
On 8/19/2020 at 3:28 PM, kilo3 said:

50245912407_251ec0bd34_b.jpg

I don't think I'll get much farther than that on the larger rear tire, I was scraping the pegs pretty bad, I need some better springs for my girth.

Is that a 190 you spooned on there?   That’s a really ‘unique’ wear pattern...  don’t know that I’ve ever seen one where used/unused line is so clearly defined.   

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Got a source for these?

Yeah, it's kind of funny.  I find the stock screen is kind of terrible here: It's short enough to direct all the wind at my helmet, but tall enough to keep the wind off my torso so I'm extra hot and so I can't lean on the wind pressure.

It keeps my chest bug free, though.  That's... Something.

Yeah.  TBH, I prefer either having a very large windscreen that keeps stuff out of my face, or basically none at all so I can just lean on the wind without buffeting or other such nonsense.  I really dislike the stock screen, but haven't found a short screen I like and isn't silly expensive.

I got my liners from this guys site,he's in Canada    

greatbikersgear has been an eBay member since 20-Jan-11 and has 100%...

greatbikersgear has been an eBay member since 20-Jan-11 and has 100%...

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Is that a 190 you spooned on there?   That’s a really ‘unique’ wear pattern...  don’t know that I’ve ever seen one where used/unused line is so clearly defined.   

Unless he went with a taller 190 (55) he can't get over far enough to use the edge

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Yamajank said:

Yep.  Took it off.  I’ve done it before, but just to test the noise again.  So I don’t hear the noise.  I know it’s a bit more noisy in general with no shield, but I think I can rule out the noise being from the Tracer.  I can hear the noise with the stock screen but only when I lean kind of over to the side.  Put the puig on and as soon as I get to 60 it’s like the right side of my helmet has a freaking bag pipe in it.  I noticed a flaw in the helmet that I think could be the culprit.  It’s a new scorpion, and I think you can see in the pics how the rubber seal on the right side is warped.  I can straighten it, but as soon as the visor gets opened it goes back to warped.  I have to think that the combination of the puig airflow and the bad seal make the noise happen.

99F924D1-DCE5-46CD-AD7B-3BCAC7A15465.jpeg

6C0EB98D-96FA-4833-84E9-1B067713B49D.jpeg

I don't know what model scorpion you have but if it has a drop-down interior sunscreenI found that their mechanism somehow is noisy and I filled mine up with soft closed cell foam and it got quieter I don't think that seal on the face shield would cause it unless you know it for a fact it is a major contributor unless you tested it with tape