FJ-09 Photo Thread

• Premium Member

Finally got out for a little putt!

66゚ believe it or not but there's still snow on the ground everywhere

Up in mid-north Lake County Illinois

Stopped at one of my favourite BBQ joints on the way, Captain Porky's in Wadsworth

Found a park district community centre to have a picnic

Macaroni and lobster and BBQd pulled pork really hit the spot...

I'll take the slow route back from here and get back before dark

20210309_155533.jpg

20210309_155000.jpg

20210309_154246.jpg

20210309_141651.jpg

20210309_141714.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Found a park district community centre to have a picnic

Macaroni and lobster and BBQd pulled pork is really hit the spot...

I'll take the slow route back from here and get back before dark

This reads like some beatnik poetry. Nice rhythm

• Supporting Member
On 3/9/2021 at 1:04 PM, Schumy said:

My only concern is around the reliability as I hope the Tracer will prove in time to be as good as the FJR and the TDM (there are plenty of both models 100k+ miles problem free).

Glad your initial impressions are all positive.   The lighter weight of the Tracer/FJ, along with that hypnotic CP3 engine, make it a really entertaining bike to ride in most real world situations.   What it lacks in refinement, it makes up for with character:  There are certainly better bikes for touring cross-country, but it seems to fall into a unique hooligan-sport-touring category that suits me perfectly.

Regarding the reliability question, there are several folks here with well over 100K miles on their bike.  They seem to be very reliable overall, although I suppose you can always find someone with a story that's the exception to the rule.   The only semi-consistent complaint I've heard is very tight exhaust valve clearance at the first 24K service interval.   My bike is coming due for that service, so I'll be interested to see what I find.  

On 3/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, Schumy said:

It's a great bike, very different - sporty- compared to my last one (a 2005 Yamaha TDM 900 - I know it wasn't sold in North America, but it is supposed to be the predecessor of the Tracers, as the TDM 850 was the first crossover bike back at the beginnings of the 90's).  I was amazed by how light it felt (the Tracer is about 20 kg/ 44 lbs lighter) and how easy it would flick around corners (17' vs 18' front wheel and a shorter wheelbase).

For now I'm glad I chose the Tracer against an FJR (gen II). I previously owned two (a 2003 gen I and a 2007 gen II) and it was a great bike for long highway rides, but it was heavy and not very fast around bendy roads. I think the Tracer is a better option for me as I exclusively ride solo and the roads around me are the curvy type. My only concern is around the reliability as I hope the Tracer will prove in time to be as good as the FJR and the TDM (there are plenty of both models 100k+ miles problem free).

I've never seen (or, honestly, even heard of) a TDM, but the FJR is a fantastic machine, shockingly different from the Tracer.  I strongly prefer the Tracer, but I totally get the FJR appeal for long highway cruises.  @texscottyd puts it perfectly:

There are certainly better bikes for touring cross-country, but it seems to fall into a unique hooligan-sport-touring category that suits me perfectly.

I absolutely *love* screaming through bendy roads at unsafe speeds on the Tracer.  It's so very happy at lean, and is super easy to flick from side to side.  And that down low torque makes accelerating hard out of super tight corners an absolute joy.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Glad your initial impressions are all positive.   The lighter weight of the Tracer/FJ, along with that hypnotic CP3 engine, make it a really entertaining bike to ride in most real world situations.   What it lacks in refinement, it makes up for with character:  There are certainly better bikes for touring cross-country, but it seems to fall into a unique hooligan-sport-touring category that suits me perfectly.

Regarding the reliability question, there are several folks here with well over 100K miles on their bike.  They seem to be very reliable overall, although I suppose you can always find someone with a story that's the exception to the rule.   The only semi-consistent complaint I've heard is very tight exhaust valve clearance at the first 24K service interval.   My bike is coming due for that service, so I'll be interested to see what I find.  

Honestly, I made a decision and bought the Tracer in about two weeks. I read a lot of reviews and owner feedbacks in that short period of time, but I haven't seen many with very high mileage. The only high mileage review I found was about a german owner who rode it for 120.000 km/ 75.000 miles and it was almost problem free (some injection problem after the 40k km/24k miles big service and the gear indicator doesn't always shows the 4th and 6th gear).

I read about the tight exhaust valves and I was thinking checking them in the near future. I still have a few miles left (I'm around 32k km/20k miles mark) but I don't see any problem about servicing them sooner.

20 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I've never seen (or, honestly, even heard of) a TDM...

I think there are maybe a couple in all North America (if I remember correctly, I saw on Advrider Forum a long time ago somebody imported one in the US), but in Europe they are very popular, mainly in the UK, Italy and Greece. Even the France law enforcements still use it.

28717978214_7075ee4cf4_b.thumb.jpg.50e0c4ad8e5b401168fcdb92f52c4471.jpg

• Supporting Member

I rode up to White Pass Ski Resort today - still packed with skiers, beautiful sunny weather, close to 60F at lower elevations (almost summer weather in the Pacific Northwest)   The twisty roads up to the summit were clear, mostly dry and free of sand.  😎

image.thumb.png.50726fc191838c96c7d3071ce74cf8c9.png

image.thumb.png.554fb9c874d4df8b76881be86520f71c.png

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Just now, 2and3cylinders said:

Yikes Brian, what elevation is that ski area and what's their snowfall a season?!

Do you notice a difference in power up there vs at sea level?

This summit is 4500' and there are several higher summits in Washington, I live at sea level and ride the passes regularly when they are free of show and don't notice a loss in power.  I have ridden Lizard Head Pass at just over 10k, Beartooth Pass at almost 11k and Red Mountain Pass at over 11k and the bike worked great, a little down on power when overtaking a slower vehicle on a long grade, often requiring downshifting 2 gears but in those conditions the +2 tooth rear sprocket really helps.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***