GT niggles?

bugie

• Premium Member
I can assure you that niggle is most definitely a word smiley.png 
To be fair the BMW S1000XR is indeed a much better motorcycle but to get it with the same extras as the GT you are looking at almost double the price in Europe (around +80%) so it really is not comparable to the GT. As @fddriver2 pointed out I think you need to look at similar priced machines for comparisons
It's a pet peeve of mine.  
2 completely different price points. The GT with side cases. The XR naked. $4,000~ price difference. That's just internet shopping. The BMW shop right by my house is asking almost $20,000. wtf.

I would love an XR, but it's apples to oranges. Dollar for dollar wise.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
In addition to my Tracer GT, I also have a BMW R1200 RS (boxer twin), and I have road tested the S1000 XR on several occasions.  I considered the XR when I got RS 3 years ago.  And I rode the XR again when I got the Tracer GT 3 months ago.

The XR just doesn't grab me, I don't like it, we don't fit well together.  The BMW features are great, my RS has them all, and they all work very well:  GPS integration, all control buttons on the handlebar are well laid out, and on and on.  The list of good things would be long.  And the XR has all these features.  Except that it doesn't grab me.

The cost difference between the BMW's and any other bike is probably justifiable if you put a retail value on any and all features that the BMW's come with.  But quality and finish is not one I would identify as different between a Yamaha and a BMW.  BTW, the BMW's come with a 3 year warranty.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

• Premium Member
The cost difference between the BMW's and any other bike is probably justifiable if you put a retail value on any and all features that the BMW's come with.   

But quality and finish is not one I would identify as different between a Yamaha and a BMW.  BTW, the BMW's come with a 3 year warranty.

On the first line. What???  For the most part BMW's are THOUSANDS more expensive retail than almost anything else. All that tech ain't cheap. 
On the second line. Yes. There is a difference. And you are paying for it.

3 year warranty? That was never factored into the basic cost of the bike. Right? 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
 Having owned a BMW S1000rr and loving the bike, I had to sell her because of nerve damaged in my neck. I looked real hard at the S1000XR and probably put around a 100mi on one test riding it, I noticed more vibration in the bars on the XR than my rr had. I could not justify the cost of the XR outfitted like the Tracer GT. You are not going to be able to shut off the service light on the XR without a special tool or pay the dealer to do it for you, the Tracer is a much cheaper bike to operate and the insurance cost is less. That being said the XR is an awesome bike and if that is the bike you want, go for it. You only live once but can go bankrupt many times.   :)

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
@betoney - I did look at & consider the Ninja 1000, and actually thought the ergonomics would be ok for me. Realistically, my long days are only about 300 miles at this point, so I’ll compromise a bit to the sporting side of the sport-touring continuum.

It may sound trivial, but somehow the Ninja name was a big turn off for me. Call it a ZX1000F or something to differentiate it from the endless line of Ninjas before it... the bike is more than just a supersport bike with bags tacked on, and would be better served to have a more unique identity.

The Kawasaki I want is still the 200+ horsepower hypersport-touring H2 SX SE. I spent some time on my local dealer’s demo bike, and was totally smitten. I will have one...

@betoney - I did look at & consider the Ninja 1000, and actually thought the ergonomics would be ok for me. Realistically, my long days are only about 300 miles at this point, so I’ll compromise a bit to the sporting side of the sport-touring continuum.  

Comparing the ergonomics of different bikes and how they might suit you is a very simple exercise.   Simply go into <cycle-ergo> et, violin - you can enter different bikes, then your own height and in-seam measurement, and by toggling the mouse wheel get a one-off or an overlaid representation of how each differs in its ergonomics.   Absolutely invaluable, IMHO - and free!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I have owned two Ninja 1000's, a 2011 and a 2013. Still riding the 2013. I recently got a short test ride on the Tracer GT and right away could tell the ergos were more roomy and better suited to long days in the saddle. However I have done a lot of long rides and multi day road trips with my Ninja 1000 and have no issues with comfort other than having to replace the stock seat. The biggest difference between the two for me was leg room. I have a 34 inch inseam and the extra legroom on the Tracer was nice. The Tracer also felt a bit lighter at the bars which I liked.

I am going to buy a new sport tourer in 2019 and right now the Tracer GT is a strong contender. Joined this forum to learn more about the bike.

I agree with an earlier poster who dislikes the "Ninja 1000" name. In Europe the bike is named "Z1000 SX", which is much more to my liking. Ninja sounds kind of juvenile for a proper sport tourer.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Thanks for all the replies - really interesting reading. 

I completely agree that the Tracer and the S1000XR are not a like for like comparison from a price perspective and when you add a few toys to it, it is around £16k. That said, it felt like twice the bike and it is not twice the cost.   Running costs may well be of course but it is still cheaper than my last car which I have now sold and just have a bike as transport.  Am almost certainly going to buy one, although the new GS1250 looks good too and have booked a test ride.  :o   :D

Cheers for the responses though. Good stuff. 

• Supporting Member
Not to throw too much crazy into the mix but has anyone seen the new Versys 1000 for 2019? Might be another candidate. As for me I'm loving my GT...just wish the seat were a little less angled.

I just saw that they redesigned the Versys 1000, (or is this SE LT+ model in addition to the standard model?)       

A LOT of changes and updates including cruise control, dual direction quick shifter and electronic suspension, MSRP is $18,000

2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+

I test rode the 2017 Versys 1000 and REALLY liked it, enough to test ride it several more times, however the the bike feels larger than the FJ/ Tracer and its almost 600lbs!! 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

wow, 18K? That's some serious chump change. I saw a brand new 18 concours on sale for 12.5 OTD and was ready to jump on it but decided to do the tracer instead due to weight and cruise control. That's a pretty steep price for a chain driven sport tourer. Wonder what they'll do with the conny moving forward...
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

Haven't ridden yet but one way to out the front seat on high and rear on low is to cut the plastic riser in half and install the front portion but put the rear in the low setting. 20181104-092418.jpg

20181104-092500.jpg

IMG-20181104-092259.jpgMellow, have you had a chance to ride with this seat mod? From your photos it doesn't appear to change the slope much, but anything to reduce it would be an improvement.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Haven't ridden yet but one way to out the front seat on high and rear on low is to cut the plastic riser in half and install the front portion but put the rear in the low setting. 20181104-092418.jpg

20181104-092500.jpg

IMG-20181104-092259.jpgMellow, have you had a chance to ride with this seat mod? From your photos it doesn't appear to change the slope much, but anything to reduce it would be an improvement.

No not yet sorry.

Like many posting to this thread, I was frustrated by the rider pegs getting in the way of side stand deployment. The fix is simple - remove the peg feelers. They serve no real purpose, look strange and are the peg element that gets in the way. Removal requires a 7mm wrench. Take them off - you will be happy you did.

I also agree with the comments on the thumb wheel. Several people posted suggestions on how this could have laid out better. Any of these would be better than what it is now. Check out a new FJR - that bike has a much more rider-friendly arrangement.

Finally, I wish Yamaha had put a longer hugger on the rear. The one that's there does a poor job of shielding from the road crap the rear tire kicks up.

Keep the rubber side down, guys.
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
I was inspired by Mellow's suggestion of leveling the seat, but in instead of cutting the plastic tray I simply removed the rubber bumpers from the rear of the drivers seat. With the tray still in the high position and the seat tang inserted in the high position I pulled the seat back enough to engage the latch in the low position. This does leave a gap between the tank and seat but I've driven 1000 miles (including a 400 mile day) and I find it very comfortable. Easy enough to try, and if you don't like it just replace the bumpers and it's back to stock.
My wife said the rear seat is also sloped forward, so I removed the rear bumpers from it as well but found the seat then pushes against the plastic panels so I cut 1/4 inch off the bumpers and the seat still rests on the frame.
  • Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada