Quick shifter

Posted this topic by mistake in FJ Tracer forum, here is where I wanted it...

I am wondering how do you guys like the quick shifter on the Tracer GT and how do you operate it. I am finding out that its function is rather rough and needs some practice to make it work smooth. The idea of shifting with it under full gas is, in my opinion, out of question, unless you want to ruin your gearbox in short time. In my experience, the only way to make it work smoothly is to kind of level out the RPMs so that you are not accelerating much, before shifting to higher gear. I still use clutch when shifting into 2nd and often when going to 6th.  I am wondering as well if there is any adjustment on the QS rod, I do not see any moving part on it, so I am curious what kind of sensor is there...

I find that it works best when not full on the throttle. And instead of shifting at 10k rpm, I shift at around 6500rpm, that makes it easier.. And if changing at a too low rpm, it will also be chunky.

When I do get the shifts correct and everything works as intended, it's a cool feature. But often it doesn't work 100% optimally and then it's irritating. Making me wonder what I'm destroying..

Edited by andersh

• Premium Member

I use it at most 50% of upshifts and find it's clunky between 1st and 2nd (no surprise passing thru Neutral) but otherwise good.  I consider it a nice-to-have on this bike, versus the Cruise which i love,  and after a lifetime of using the clutch don't give huge value to it.  It's nice but I'm usually not racing my GT.  IMO, it's  fine  as is.

I find that the only time it works well is less than full throttle. At full throttle it seems to have too long of a delay (ignition cutout) and feels like you are being slowed down by engine braking. I can do much better and quicker shifts using old method of very briefly letting off throttle and upshifting without clutch.

That brings me to a question! I cannot find where to turn it off. Anyone know how to turn off quickshifter? Have read all I can on it and found nothing.

27 minutes ago, RandyN said:

That brings me to a question! I cannot find where to turn it off. Anyone know how to turn off quickshifter? Have read all I can on it and found nothing.

Unplug it... Follow the wires from the QS unit on the shift rod...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

8 hours ago, RandyN said:

push the shift lever up, turn ignition key on, wait 10sec, release the shift lever - QS will be disabled/enabled. no need to unplug something.

Edited by Tracerracer
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Tracerracer said:

push the shift lever up, turn ignition key on, wait 10sec, release the shift lever - QS will be disabled/enabled. no need to unplug something.

Thank you!!  That was what I was looking for. Figured there had to be something since there was an indicator on the display. 

Really? This didn't work for me, and I don't see anything in the service manual about it.

Edit: I tried it again and it does work on my bike. I guess I wasn't lifting hard enough or I counted too fast.

Edited by gv550

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

14 hours ago, gv550 said:

Really? This didn't work for me, and I don't see anything in the service manual about it.

I went out and did the suggested turn off method and worked fine. Repeated it several times off and on to be sure and it did the trick. Took for test ride to confirm it also. Lift up hard on shift lever, turn on ignition and count to 10 or 12 seconds, release lever and QS indicator on display goes off. Thanks for info Tracerracer !

Does repeating the sequence turn it back on? I'd like to know before I try.  If so, thanks for the info, I looked in the manual too and didn't see anything about it. 

I don't use the QS at lower revs in the first 3 gears, because of the clunk, but use it regularly from 4th thru 6th. This is at normal traffic riding speeds. However,  when giving it the berries, say, more than 1/2 throttle up to full throttle, it works great in all the gears. This is my first QS and I had to retrain my hand to hold the throttle open instead of slightly backing off when shifting, as I was used to doing. Slightly preloading the shifter helps too, just like regular clutchless upshifts.  Runnerhiker is right, don't baby it, it wants a firm toe prod.

Ok, I went back and saw that Tracerracer already answered my question, it disables and enables the QS. Awesome tip, I appreciate the info, thanks y'all! Any other hidden gems like this we need to know? 

Edited by jerryd
I'm a dumb ass....

• Supporting Member

Very informative thread, folks!  My thanks to everyone!   👍

• Thumbsup 1
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, whistler said:

Very informative thread, folks!  My thanks to everyone!   👍

I totally agree. 👍🏻

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

On 4/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, Luma46 said:

Posted this topic by mistake in FJ Tracer forum, here is where I wanted it...

I am wondering how do you guys like the quick shifter on the Tracer GT and how do you operate it. I am finding out that its function is rather rough and needs some practice to make it work smooth. The idea of shifting with it under full gas is, in my opinion, out of question, unless you want to ruin your gearbox in short time. In my experience, the only way to make it work smoothly is to kind of level out the RPMs so that you are not accelerating much, before shifting to higher gear. I still use clutch when shifting into 2nd and often when going to 6th.  I am wondering as well if there is any adjustment on the QS rod, I do not see any moving part on it, so I am curious what kind of sensor is there...

As stated above, these systems are designed for exactly what makes you nervous. This isn't a new system, just new to this type of bike. I am having to re-educate my wrist on this but by just leaving the throttle wherever it might be at that moment and shifting; instantly, you are in the next gear. 

And a few of you mentioned using the clutch, per the manual (page 4-24), "It does not operate when the clutch lever is pulled." So, your "help" is actually just a normal shift. 

• Thumbsup 3