Tracer seats

How many of you are satisfied with either the stock seat or the Yamaha "comfort" seat? The stock was pretty much unbearable for me so bought the comfort seat, which I think is better, but a long way from comfortable.

I've had Corbin's in the past with mixed results and by the pics of this particular seat for the Tracer, it looks to me to move you back too far from the bars and haven't had much luck trying to order a seat from them with custom measurements from me. Plus, of course the price and six week wait time minimum.

Contacted Seth Laam to no avail and Sargent still is showing in the development stage.

After 6,000 plus miles, I've given up on the stock seat and have a Corbin ordered. I have a Corbin on another bike now and had one on my FJ 09, and like them and how they fit me. Just wish I could have moved the seat from the FJ to the GT. Will try to sell the old seat when I get around to it.. Corbin said current production time from ordering is about 3 weeks, will see if that pans out.

Most people like their Corbin; however, I wasn't one of them. I bought the seat third hand, so it's possible the original owner had a custom seat done extra firm, but mine was still pretty hard. I picked up a second hand Terry Adcox seat, made for someone my weight and am much happier. 

'15 FJ09

I have a Corbin on my 2017 FJ-09. I will say it does, like you say, push you further back from the bars and it's higher than the stock seat so it is going to force you into a more sporty riding position. 

That is my only gripe with it. It is comfortable and looks great but while it makes your butt feel better it makes your back/wrists ache more. I think if you were to put some handlebar risers on the bike it would be a good combination. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get handlebar risers to work because the cables aren't long enough. Others have been successful though.

• Premium Member

Fred, what you wrote is exactly my experience.  OEM not good, Yamaha Comfort better but not good enough, and not sold on Corbin.

I have had three Corbin seats and liked two of them and sold the third one.  The one I didn't like was a one piece seat that replaced the two piece rider and passenger.  That's why I am reluctant to get the Corbin for the GT, like you, I think it will move me back too far.

The two Corbins I liked were a rider seat only on an FJR and on a BMW R1200, those were good.

The GT seats I've seen all lean forward and push me towards the tank, this happens because of the narrow front of the seat to reach the ground on this tall bike.

When Sargent comes out with their seat, or when Corbin comes out with a single rider seat, I might go for one of those.  In the meantime, the Yamaha comfort seat is just barely good enough.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

I am personally very happy with the GT stock seat when riding solo although find it very uncomfortable with a million as I end up getting pushed forward which doesn't happen when riding solo.

I got my Corbin yesterday, 15 days from order to front door.  It's not like the solo seat I had on my ST1300, it has more padding, but it'll work.  It puts me no farther back than the oem seat.  Did I forget to mention that I likes it.  

Edited by Coop
  • Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, fred99 said:

Contacted Seth Laam to no avail and Sargent still is showing in the development stage.

I rode in to Seth's workshop and had him build me one while I waited. I put it right up there with my old Russell for comfort. I'd keep trying. 

IMG_20180920_133951130_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180920_133944928_HDR.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

i can't say enough good things about my terry adcox seat.  my sargent was way better than my stock seat but terry's seat is that much better.  for $250 us for a custom seat made to order I think it is great value for your dollar

terry adcox seat.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Add me to the list of those looking for a new seat.  It is not so bad that I can not live with it.  I am holding out for a Sargent as I have had good luck with their seats in the past.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I had a Sargent, but it dug into my legs and became unbearable on a multi-day trip. After six days and 3,600 miles I was literally limping. 

I sold that and purchased a Terry Adcox seat. I have not yet been able to test it for more than a few hundred miles at a time, but that will change come Friday. It feels just like the Russell Daylong I had on my K75 and loved, so I am hopeful. I will know be early next week. 

• Premium Member

I have the Yammie comfort seat.  Very happy w it.  Can go as many miles as I want, no problem. I have no issue reported by others of slope causing slide into gastank.  I'm 6'2" and weigh 225lbs so not a lightweight if that makes a difference.

• Thumbsup 1

17 hours ago, stumpy said:

i can't say enough good things about my terry adcox seat. 

@stumpy Would you say the terry's seat is higher than stock? looks like it. I have to ride in the low position. worried about  being on my tip toes.

Edited by brewhaha

Thanks for the replies and especially the pics.

I know this is the busy time of year for the seat makers and may have to do with the "comfort" seat for now but sure like the looks of the Laam and Adcox seats.