Is abrupt fueling unique to Yamaha?

1 hour ago, Chris FJR said:

With my new Tracer GT I felt it was even worse.  Like an old fashion turbo which hits a certain RPM and just "explodes" in acceleration.  Put on a G2 Throttle Tamer and it helped.  It's still way worse than my FJR, put it was an improvement.  A $75 fix.

Do you have your bike flashed as well?  I'm thinking about getting the throttle tamer as I use A mode all the time but just want to take the edge off a bit on initial roll in.

I know that seems weird but yeah.

I currently own my 75th and 76th bike so maybe i am in a good position to comment on this as i have had lots of different makes of bike,basically the yamahas are the worst fuelling of any i have owned,i have just picked up for my mate today a triumph twin,rode it 120 miles home and from the first mile the fuelling,gearbox and clutch were perfect resulting in a very smooth ride,but i have made my tracer just as good with a boosterplug it nows runs and fuels perfect.Had it down to 12mph in 3rd and just pulled smoothly away.My MT10 hunts and surges really bad until it gets to about 30mph making it really hard to potter through town and villages,so that is definitely getting a boosterplug.The tracer now with the plug and running some fuel injection cleaner through feels like its been mapped the throttle is so instant.

Edited by yamtracergaz

The throttle is why I don't own a FJ-09.  I took it out and couldn't wait to get it back to the dealership.  Just one trip around the block, even though I was offered the opportunity to take it for as long as I wanted.

Reviews at the time focused on how you could pop wheelies on the bike very easily.  But all I could think of was sitting in rush hour stop-n-go traffic for miles and trying to control that abrupt throttle.

Coupled with a narrow clutch friction zone, and it was a no-go for me.  I had no doubt I could learn how to manage it, but I didn't want to.

It's good to know though that others have found ways to smooth it out.

Chris

As the FJ is my first injected bike, I guess I'm too inexperienced to see the problem.

On rough roads (and we have a lot of them around here...) where a twitchy throttle is a pain, I just put it in B mode.  As soon as I hit the main road, it's right back in A mode.

That RIGHT NOW power is the thing I love most about the FJ.  If yer gonna turn the wick, you'd best be hanging on!

If I wanted a smoooooooooooooooooooooooooth, boring Road Sofa, I'd get a 'wang.

• Thumbsup 1

I had a Vstar 950 before the GT.  I would say it was more frustrating fueling wise than the GT.  I could not take a normal street 90 in 1st or 2nd gear without revving or it would lurch NO MATTER HOW SMOOTH my right hand.  I have zero problems with the GT for that situation.  Early on in my relationship with the GT I was worried that it was too lurchy at "in town" speed.  Even that has seemed to subside and it purrs along in any mode (5300 miles).  Maybe there's a difference between the FJs and the newer GTs.  Unfortunately I only get to test it on fun twisty roads when I take a trip.   Take a look at www.roadcurvature.com and see the abysmal straight boringness I have in Northern Indiana.  Yes, it's still fun, but I'm going to have to learn to wheelie for some excitement. :D

Kilo 3:  No, I haven't had my GT flashed.  I tried riding in B mode to ameliorate the abrupt response, but felt I was losing out on overall power with that.  So now I use Std. with the Throttle Tamer.

3 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Do you have your bike flashed as well?  I'm thinking about getting the throttle tamer as I use A mode all the time but just want to take the edge off a bit on initial roll in.

I know that seems weird but yeah.

• Thumbsup 1

For me on my 2020 GT i only notice the abruptness in A mode. on a bumpy road .My hand moves the throttle on the bumps and hence the jerking .Otherwise it seems to fuel very well. My Honda ST 1300 was way worse , if you chopped the throttle on it ,it would almost launch you over the bars and very jerky unless you were really smooth on the throttle which I quickly learned.

MIKE

• Thumbsup 1

My riding buddy almost sold his 2014 V Strom 1000 after riding it for only 2 weeks because of abrupt fueling. I just started to ride my new to me 2017 FJ09 couple of weeks ago and if it is not as smooth as my 2017 V Strom 650 I don't think there is something wrong with it. If I'm not mistaken Yamaha fixed the mapping issue after 2016 model.

• 6 months later...
On 11/3/2020 at 7:11 PM, Stew said:

You should all have a look into fitting a Booster Plug.

10 minutes to fit , sorts out the low rev jerkiness brilliantly well. In all modes.

Any tips on installing it?

Compared to the inline 4 sport bikes I've owned I wouldn't say throttle abruptness is even a concern on this bike. On a bumpy road, in A mode with a death grip on the throttle, maybe, but I don't consider this bike's throttle response jerky.

• Thumbsup 1