What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Wow I didn't know you had a TPM on the old girl

I'm glad that I have it, I didn't notice the pressure dropping, only alerted by the display - when the psi gets too low the display starts flashing red and has an audible alarm. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

I'm glad that I have it, I didn't notice the pressure dropping, only alerted by the display - when the psi gets too low the display starts flashing red and has an audible alarm. 

Damn @betoney!  Just when I thought I'd bought eveything that I 'needed' for the bike 😉

I like the fact that it alerts you, as most riders would not even realise until they felt the problem which would then negate the reason for even having a TPM IMHO.  Early warning is good.

You would recommend that particular model then?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

Damn @betoney!  Just when I thought I'd bought eveything that I 'needed' for the bike 😉

I like the fact that it alerts you, as most riders would not even realise until they felt the problem which would then negate the reason for even having a TPM IMHO.  Early warning is good.

You would recommend that particular model then?

Yes, I highly recommend it.  I have had zero problems with the unit and as I found out today, without the visual warning I could have kept going further away from home into more remote back roads, potentially turning into an ugly situation.

SRTP300pic1.jpg?v=1541017726

Tire pressure monitor for motorcycles. with 1.5" water-resistant monitor...

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, enx said:

I allready have Wilbers fork springs with appropriate spring rate for my weight. Rebuild was done because guide bushes had a little too much play.

How many miles?  Pairing the front to the rear would really help.  I went with a K-Tech Razor R and don't regret it.  Penske is great too, as many just look at Ohlins, which IMO are over-priced.  Wilbers is also pricey for what you get in comparison to K-Tech.  Amazingly I've only had to rebuild the Penske 3-way on my VTR twice so far in the last 50,000 mile or more.

As I'm sure you know, fork oil selection is critical and one manufacturer's 5 wt is not the same as another's.  That's why one compares by cSt @ 40c, with 16cSt being about optimum for the FJ/Tracer, see below link.

http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycle/fork-oil.html

You can also blend oils to suit your needs.

Then oil level / air gap is also critical in conjunction with spring weight.

BTW, whose foot pegs are those?  The look like wider ADV type with removable rubber inserts.  I have the usual FZ08/FJR eBay clone rubber covered pegs and am evaluating adjustable alternatives as pioneered by MFW with their Vario system; which have become too expensive.  I have a set of theirs on my VTR but not knowing how they'll work on my 15 FJ, will go with a clone.

Example 1:  These are too short & narrow with no rubber.

s-l400.jpg

<li> MC Motoparts R-FIGHT 25MM Extension CNC Billet Front...

Example #2:  Almost too long & wide and still no rubber.

s-l400.jpg

<li> CNC 25mm Riser Front Footpegs- Condition : 100% Brand...

Similar but not adjustable...

s-l400.jpg

Bobmoto CNC Front Rider Wide Foot Pegs. Rider pegs only - NOT...

• Thumbsup 1

56.000km. At the rear is Wilbers 640 with hydraulic preload. Oil in forks is thicker than oem. I don't know what grade it is, because the installation of the springs and rebuild was done in the shop specialized for motorcycle suspension. I trust them🙂

IMG_20190123_153651.thumb.jpg.12478354c04859a2ea4a825f1504c02f.jpg

Pegs are Yamaha adventure. https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/products/accessories/accessories-overview/adventure-rider-foot-pegs/bl3-f14d0-v0-00/

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

After yesterdays fiasco with a flat tire, (turns out I picked up a sharp rock) it was time for some new shoes.  The Bridgestone S22's were WELL beyond their useful life @7,600 miles, on with a new set of Bridgestone T31's. 

image.thumb.png.003fb83ac66cf613f087a1e8d650165c.png

image.thumb.png.a7264c00c35be41b7e0ba5355ef43e3b.png

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

That's EX  CE  LENT!

I have the S22 on my VTR but have put nill miles on them.

I had to go check but I only have about 1k mi on my T32s, did the chain (520) & sprockets the same time for the second time.

It's been some time for me since Bridges.

I changed to the T32 from Dunlop's Roadsmarts for at least two cycles.  Last RS3 front got almost 9,600 mi but had some cupping if I recall.  What surprised was the rear got over 9,200 mi but it was into the cords in a flash and a RS2 no less!

Us flatlanders must drone at as high a speed as possible for at least 40 minutes just to get off the slab on a road with SOME twists.  When we finally go right left right in quick succession, we still haven't got out of urban defence mode.  That's when you risk ruining your base layer for the first time that day.  We can't relax for almost the whole ride until just before the end of what for you would be mildly entertaining but for us are decent twisties.

Though we got up to 31 today!

20200815_214504.jpg

20200816_182758.jpg

20200816_194224.jpg

20200820_212011.jpg

20200906_155343.jpg

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, roy826 said:

I’m about to order a set of T31s for the Tracer and a set of AX41s for my T7. 😬

I hate tube type tires on the T7🥵

If you don't need the tires just yet, Bridgestone usually has a Spring promotion with a $50-$60 rebate -per set.  I usually pick up a set of both S22 and T31 each year during their promotion.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Thanks for the reminder. I have a Yamaha ChampSchool outing at Road Atlanta in April and was planning on ordering a set of S22’s for those two days of track time. I had a set of S21’s a couple summers ago and loved them. 

• Thumbsup 2

2 hours ago, 3sum said:

Thanks for the reminder. I have a Yamaha ChampSchool outing at Road Atlanta in April and was planning on ordering a set of S22’s for those two days of track time. I had a set of S21’s a couple summers ago and loved them. 

I'll be there too! I'm riding my GSXR though. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

Aw man I'm so jealous! About both the champion school and tires. I really want to try the s22, the angel gt that came on my bike is just ok.

I moved the handlebars forward on my tracer! I haven't gotten to ride it yet but I'm hoping that makes it more comfortable when riding in a spirited manner.

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, Bobbles said:

I moved the handlebars forward on my tracer! I haven't gotten to ride it yet but I'm hoping that makes it more comfortable when riding in a spirited manner.

It definitely helps, along with having the seat in the tall position.   There isn’t a lot of room to work with, but I found that replacing the stock risers with 60mm aftermarket risers (about an inch shorter than stock) definitely improved the riding position for more spirited riding.   With the CalSci shorty sceeen I use on my FJ, it’s actually more comfortable at highway speeds than it was with the stock bars...  

Details in this post.  Scroll down for more photos and discussion:  

-Scott 

• Thumbsup 1