What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

20 hours ago, betoney said:

I got this one from Lowes.   Kobalt Mini Ratchet Set   It has really come in handy on several occasions when you have limited access.

I raise you, with my tiny ratchet 😎

s-l400.jpg

Model No: AK6962. Bit Driver Ratchet Micro 1/4" Hex Stainless Steel...

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

A Commonly seen item on $23k motorcycles!

bmwgs.jpeg

Let us know how you like it.  I had a Chinese knock off on my FJ for a while but it did not kill the slop very well.  So I replaced w a Pyramid rear extenda which also did not kill the slop. Then I bought a hose at Home Depot and that really worked well! :)

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

36 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

Does that have detents to hold the bits?

Yes, it has a ball bearing in the hole where the bits go in, which holds them very well. The little slider is to reverse the rotation direction. It’s been really useful in tight spots, but obviously low torque only.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

One question, why?

IMO as an engineer, such fenders not only add unsprung weight but it is also significantly cantilevered, highly stressing the fixing point and extension assembly.  Plus it's a large wind catcher, not particularly effective in its intended function, can snag passing whatever, and throws a wrench in front/rear weight bias.  And I could go on.

A conventional, properly designed and manufactured hugger that is longer than OEM, or a hugger extension, made from thermoplastic or a carbon fiber composite is much lighter, aerodynamic, and functionally more effective.  I have a Pyramid CF extension that cost me like $24 that works great.

And this is ignoring aesthetics, as beauty is in the eye...

Which is a primary reason I presume not assume why you installed the Givi unit.

I always liked the look on BMWs and expected it to work better than an extender. But I’m not an engineer and for once did not research before buying. 😅 If it does not work well I will remove it and probably be able to sell it without losing too much money and get the pyramid.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, petshark said:

I always liked the look on BMWs and expected it to work better than an extender. But I’m not an engineer and for once did not research before buying. 😅 If it does not work well I will remove it and probably be able to sell it without losing too much money and get the pyramid.

I know people who have them on the later model fz-s and they don't work real well. Others like me have tried the extension with mixed results mine works pretty well

I tried making my own extension and it broke of after 5000 miles.

I also tried to create a mudguard for the shock and couldn't get it to work to my satisfaction but for how much I invested in the extension I'm pretty happy with it.

It's just I think it's a gimmick to add visual weight to the rear of the bike which I think is unnecessary, particularly with fender we have stock on the FJ / tracers

• Supporting Member

TPMS purchased and installed - inspired by an earlier experience by @betoney.

It's interesting just how much the tyres increase in pressure after a run.  Started at 33,37 cold and I think the rear got up to 41 according to the monitor.  Anyone else experience that sort of pressure change?

20210205_185600.thumb.jpg.4cad2593fbc466813a46dd3af7a6a533.jpg

20210205_151722.thumb.jpg.c0a2fb80a77e3a90e0be4fbecb79b670.jpg

20210205_152039.thumb.jpg.5ad7e79ca3bca76276cff63a7882aa92.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Your pressure change is normal. when the tire heats up pressure changes (increases). that is why you should check your pressure when the tires are cold. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

33 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

TPMS purchased and installed - inspired by an earlier experience by @betoney.

It's interesting just how much the tyres increase in pressure after a run.  Started at 33,37 cold and I think the rear got up to 41 according to the monitor.  Anyone else experience that sort of pressure change?

20210205_185600.thumb.jpg.4cad2593fbc466813a46dd3af7a6a533.jpg

20210205_151722.thumb.jpg.c0a2fb80a77e3a90e0be4fbecb79b670.jpg

20210205_152039.thumb.jpg.5ad7e79ca3bca76276cff63a7882aa92.jpg

Does the unit have to be plugged in?

• Supporting Member
Just now, Yamajank said:

Does the unit have to be plugged in?

No is the short answer.  It has an internal battery.  I did have mine plugged in only because I installed it and wanted to go so charged it on the run.  No reason you couldn't leave the USB plugged in though and run it like that I guess.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

Your pressure change is normal. when the tire heats up pressure changes (increases). that is why you should check your pressure when the tires are cold. 

Yes, that's fine and I get all that it's just that I didn't expect it to increase by that much I suppose.

Anyway, live and learn as they say.  Another good reason to get a TPMS 👍

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@dazzler24 - I believe you should see about a 10% increase in pressure between cold and normal operating pressure.  If my cold pressure is 35F/38R, it will rise to around 39F/42R.

As I found out, the unit gives you a 'live' real-time reading only after the wheels are turning.  When I first bought the unit I ended the day's ride with the temperature reading in the 90's and the next morning's outside ambient temperature was in the 40's yet the unit still displayed the previous days reading in the 90's. -I thought the unit was malfunctioning-  Once I took off on my ride, the unit went 'live' within about 150' of travel and updated to real-time readings.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, betoney said:

@dazzler24 - I believe you should see about a 10% increase in pressure between cold and normal operating pressure.  If my cold pressure is 35F/38R, it will rise to around 39F/42R.

As I found out, the unit gives you a 'live' real-time reading only after the wheels are turning.  When I first bought the unit I ended the day's ride with the temperature reading in the 90's and the next morning's outside ambient temperature was in the 40's yet the unit still displayed the previous days reading in the 90's. -I thought the unit was malfunctioning-  Once I took off on my ride, the unit went 'live' within about 150' of travel and updated to real-time readings.

Yes, thanks.  I noticed the same thing when I'd stopped for a break.  All the numbers were 'stuck' at the last reading until I was on my way again. Good to know info. Thanks.

Oh and 10% is the norm eh?  Also good to know.  Cheers.

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, betoney said:

As I found out, the unit gives you a 'live' real-time reading only after the wheels are turning. 

I went with the FOBO TPMS for this reason. I would rather know before I leave the garage if I need air rather than down the road. A bit more $ up front, but more convenient for me. 

• Thumbsup 1