What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

12 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

It definitely helps, along with having the seat in the tall position.   There isn’t a lot of room to work with, but I found that replacing the stock risers with 60mm aftermarket risers (about an inch shorter than stock) definitely improved the riding position for more spirited riding.   With the CalSci shorty sceeen I use on my FJ, it’s actually more comfortable at highway speeds than it was with the stock bars...  

Details in this post.  Scroll down for more photos and discussion:  

-Scott 

Awesome, I'll check it out if I want it further forward. Most likely I will, I have kinda long arms and like a more sporty bike.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, koth442 said:

I'll be there too! I'm riding my GSXR though. 

Take it easy on me. Lol This will be my first “real track” experience other than a couple kart tracks on my old Supermoto years ago. I’ll most likely be on my Tracer but I might bring my $1000 Tiger ‘just in case’....

10 hours ago, 3sum said:

Take it easy on me. Lol This will be my first “real track” experience other than a couple kart tracks on my old Supermoto years ago. I’ll most likely be on my Tracer but I might bring my $1000 Tiger ‘just in case’....

That's awesome man! Excellent place to start. They split the school into two groups based on experience. Same material in the classroom sessions, just helps keep the pace more similar on track.

I'm doing a ChampGrad day, so I'll be there on Tuesday only. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, koth442 said:

That's awesome man! Excellent place to start. They split the school into two groups based on experience. Same material in the classroom sessions, just helps keep the pace more similar on track.

I'm doing a ChampGrad day, so I'll be there on Tuesday only. 

I only Live a little more than an hour away but I’m going to get a hotel room Sunday nearby so I can be there fresh Monday morning. 

I know leathers are a requirement and I don’t have any.  Any recommendations on where to get a set that won’t break the bank for something I won’t wear hardly ever?

• Supporting Member
On 1/28/2021 at 3:35 PM, banderso said:

Changed the stock brake lines for the Spiegler SS lines.

Hey there Bill...  what was the relative effort involved?   I’ve heard opinions ranging from ‘fairly easy’ to ‘absolute nightmare’ on the brake line replacement. 

I have a new set of Galfer lines ready to install, but I’ve been dragging my feet on actually doing it.  

17 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I have a new set of Galfer lines ready to install, but I’ve been dragging my feet for two years....

edited for accuracy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Nothing like fresh sticky biscuits.  :) 

May I ask why you went with the T31 instead of the S22 Bridgestones?  Just curious.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fjray said:

May I ask why you went with the T31 instead of the S22 Bridgestones?  Just curious.

This time of year is wet, the T31 is a sport touring tire with more rain channels.  In the Summer I will switch back to the S22 sport tires.  I find that both tires have similar price and performance. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, betoney said:

This time of year is wet, the T31 is a sport touring tire with more rain channels.  In the Summer I will switch back to the S22 sport tires.  I find that both tires have similar price and performance. 

A 12 month riding season will let you do that economically...

• Like 1

Hi 2&3,

The switch to SS lines isn't difficult. Take your time undressing the bike, unsnapping the hose clips, keeping track of the routing, and the reassembly will be fine. 

I suggest using a vacuum bleeder to empty the old brake lines, helps keep the spillage to a minimum. I snipped the hard lines to make it easier to remove them.

The rear brake line bracket, where the rear rubber hoses attach to the blocks, was a pain. Easy to see, hard to access and remove. The Spiegler kit has you trimming the bracket.

I spent 4 hours dinking around with the replacement. But hey, I'm retired and it was 14 to 30 degrees in the garage.....

Bleeding took a long time. I used the vacuum bleeder along with the old manual way. I still need to cycle the ABS for the final result.

Lever feel isn't as solid as I want. 

Won't be dry or out of the 30's for two weeks, so a final report has to wait...

Also had the ECU flashed and installed. Jonesing to test it out also!

See ya 

bill

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Hey there Bill...  what was the relative effort involved?   I’ve heard opinions ranging from ‘fairly easy’ to ‘absolute nightmare’ on the brake line replacement. 

I have a new set of Galfer lines ready to install, but I’ve been dragging my feet on actually doing it.  

I was one of the 'nightmare' reporters when I did mine but mine involved leaving the hard lines in and joining to them with the new SS lines.  I understand that if you have new SS lines that totally replace the hard lines then you're in the 'fairly easy' team. YMMV of course.  Do it! 🙂

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 3sum said:

I only Live a little more than an hour away but I’m going to get a hotel room Sunday nearby so I can be there fresh Monday morning. 

I know leathers are a requirement and I don’t have any.  Any recommendations on where to get a set that won’t break the bank for something I won’t wear hardly ever?

I found my leathers used on craigslist 10.5 years ago. I happened to get lucky finding something in my size. So that's where I'd start. 

If you can't find anything on the used market, Cycle Gear sells Sedici leathers at a reasonable price. My ex crash tested them a couple times and they held up well. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09