What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
On 2/1/2021 at 5:32 PM, betoney said:

I got this one from Lowes.   Kobalt Mini Ratchet Set   It has really come in handy on several occasions when you have limited access.

I have the older version of that myself that goes wherever I go. It lives in my topcase. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

I would rather know before I leave the garage if I need air rather than down the road.

Good point.  This had crossed my mind as well after 'discovering' that it didn't update until on the move.

I guess I'll still have to check pressure and top up as necessary the old fashioned way before my trips. Not a big deal but a minor annoyance nontheless.

EDIT:- Thought I'd have a look to see if there was a way around this mini dilemma and it seems that if I remove the caps (pressure monitors) it activates the wireless and goes 'live'.  I'm assuming (always dangerous) that it's not the moving of the bike that triggers the update but a pressure variation which would occur as you ride away bumping along the road?

Anyway, this worked for me.  @betoney - do you use the lock nuts on the valve stems for the sensors or is it safe to leave them off?

• Premium Member

Just got it back from 52,000 mile service. 

Oil, brakes all around, and a DID chain, air filter. 

My service guy was talking about a gold chain, and I was like just the basic color. Now looking at it. I shoulda got the gold chain. With the forks and pinstriping it would've looked pretty good. Next time I guess. *Sigh*

20210205_221529.jpg

20210205_221635.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Good point.  This had crossed my mind as well after 'discovering' that it didn't update until on the move.

I guess I'll still have to check pressure and top up as necessary the old fashioned way before my trips. Not a big deal but a minor annoyance nontheless.

EDIT:- Thought I'd have a look to see if there was a way around this mini dilemma and it seems that if I remove the caps (pressure monitors) it activates the wireless and goes 'live'.  I'm assuming (always dangerous) that it's not the moving of the bike that triggers the update but a pressure variation which would occur as you ride away bumping along the road?

Anyway, this worked for me.  @betoney - do you use the lock nuts on the valve stems for the sensors or is it safe to leave them off?

Yes, I use the lock nuts.  I don't know whether the sensor would loosen from vibration without them but better safe than sorry.  I cant see any reason NOT to use them.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, betoney said:

Yes, I use the lock nuts.  I don't know whether the sensor would loosen from vibration without them but better safe than sorry.  I cant see any reason NOT to use them.

The only reason I asked is related to doing a quick unscrew in the garage at home to get the current pressure as mentioned above.  The locknut requires the tool to release it and so adds the extra step.  I know, first world problems. 😉

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, dazzler24 said:

The only reason I asked is related to doing a quick unscrew in the garage at home to get the current pressure as mentioned above.  The locknut requires the tool to release it and so adds the extra step.  I know, first world problems. 😉

On the topic of getting a reading before you leave, I found the distance to get it to read real-time to be very short.  I live at the end of a street with a cul-de-sac, if I ride out of my driveway and circle the cul-de-sac, that's all the distance it needs to read the current pressure.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

Just got it back from 52,000 mile service. 

Oil, brakes all around, and a DID chain, air filter. 

My service guy was talking about a gold chain, and I was like just the basic color. Now looking at it. I shoulda got the gold chain. With the forks and pinstriping it would've looked pretty good. Next time I guess. *Sigh*

20210205_221529.jpg

20210205_221635.jpg

I think it would look good. I think I'll do the same.

I was thinking of powder coating my wheels gold. I've seen pics if gold spoke wheels. Can't tell if it would be too much bling. Mine is black, kind of a blank canvas.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I have those ubiquitous 80~85 degree angle low-profile aluminum valve stems that only have threads long enough to accept their matching aluminum caps with its inner rubber seal.  I presume then that in such a case you cannot use the locknut that secures the TPMS sensor cap.  Which to me would be a deal killer.  Plus I've read about the sensor conflicting with brake calipers and such.

Thoughts, talk amongst yourselves...

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I have those ubiquitous 80~85 degree angle low-profile aluminum valve stems that only have threads long enough to accept their matching aluminum caps with its inner rubber seal.  I presume then that in such a case you cannot use the locknut that secures the TPMS sensor cap.  Which to me would be a deal killer.  Plus I've read about the sensor conflicting with brake calipers and such.

I use the right angle valve stems, the sensor and lock nut fit on the threads with several threads to spare.  Even with the 320mm R1 rotors, there is plenty of room to check pressure and fill the tires.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

58 minutes ago, betoney said:

I use the right angle valve stems, the sensor and lock nut fit on the threads with several threads to spare.  Even with the 320mm R1 rotors, there is plenty of room to check pressure and fill the tires.

I agree with betoney's statement above - although I can't comment on the 320 mm rotors as I don't have them but that would be the worst case senario for access I imagine and yet he appears not to have any issues.

Anyway here's some photos of mine to perhaps give you some idea of clearance and thread length for comparison.

Last photo is of the cap holding tool for tightening the locknut.  It comes close to the rim but still clears it.  And FWIW, I don't use it anyway when tightening the lock nut.

Hope this helps.

20210207_130435.thumb.jpg.888eb63535448605f5011382ab54ea5e.jpg20210207_130507.thumb.jpg.621ac3e95ef37ceb4e9e71fb1ef9fcaa.jpg20210207_125921.thumb.jpg.663ab4972b522e8d7f9ab2320b922890.jpg20210207_125910.thumb.jpg.fbc9ab7fc0f54d03c12b63f43d7d25ea.jpg20210207_131212.thumb.jpg.2e8441658fa56401e55b8c9e15fa26a2.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, bowlin01 said:

@dazzler24 would this system work with the oem valve stems do you know?

Cheers

Steve

They would I believe, but there is a general consensus that says not to use them (any TPMS) on rubber type stems.  I personally don't see any issue with using them in that situation and have read that many do but just thought I'd mention it.

If in doubt do your own research on the subject and make your own decision. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Thanks guys, I had figured it was a no-go until your input.  Now there's another $50 (or double that if I get the BT version) I could dump into my FJ but at least it's transferable to another bike.

As I mentioned before, I'm currently trying to motivate myself to complete the basic maintenance needed on my bikes, even with a heated shop. It's currently -6 outside and only to rise another 10 degrees.  My health and the current pandemic and torrid socioeconomic and political environment has, as I've also reported, made me lethargic.  I do have an appointment for my first vaccine shot next Wednesday but have to go get drilled (literally) the day before at my dentist, with another extraction a possibility.  Last time I developed a fistula that lead to a sinus infection that required surgery and 10 weeks on an antibiotic.  My sinuses have never much improved and require daily saline rinses. Between that, my prostate, herneated and slipped L4~6 and ruptured C5/6, and colitis/diverticulitis, life has been tough but I know it could always be worse! 

I am looking forward to watching the Super Bowl and we wanted to go over to one of the kids to all watch together.  Unfortunately, with all the snow, parking in the City is TERRIBLE!  Plus as one kid is an ER doctor, social distancing makes getting together a real pain.

I am working on a foot peg mod that should be challenging.  I did the usual rubber topped peg swap long ago but with my back issue (surgery is now once again been postponed due to another urgent job), I want the pegs a bit lower and more forward.  I'll post up on my progress in a dedicated thread

So enjoy the game all!  Who are you rooting for?  I'm torn.  I want the old guy to win over the kid but the former is such a tool and his wife is a nut  I've watched every SB but of course the 86 game will forever be our favorite!  Do you know the words and melody to the Super Bowl Shuffle?!  I'll never forgive Ditka for letting the Fridge run it in instead of Sweetness...

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I'll never forgive Ditka for letting the Fridge run it in instead of Sweetness...

You and me both. 😠

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Aw, man, I just got my set yesterday only to discover that one of the two buttons (one used to enter the menus, pair sensors, etc) doesn't work.  Being an AliExpress purchase for a whopping $25 cdn, I'm probably just out $25.  

Trying to decide if I'm going to order a second one or not - then I'd have a spare set of sensors.  It's a neat model, too; fully sealed and waterproof with a magnetic power connector (vaguely apple mag-safe like).  Or just shrug and move on.  Dunno.