What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You must have missed me saying I use the yellow hydraulic fluid / natural gass resistant teflon tape stretched thin, and grease around the screw when bleeding, then dip that away with isopropyl alcohol when done so as not to attract dirt, etc

Yes, I missed it.  I was skimming the forum quickly while at work on my small cell phone screen.  🤷‍♀️

I'll pick up some of the teflon tape. Good info. Thanks for sharing.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, piotrek said:

Nope... not stainless, and no issues. Most OE bleeders aren't stainless. Bleed once a year and all's good. Long periods between service and in harsh environments... sure.

I used vacuum (large syringe) with okay results to help bleed after replacing lines, just to advance things a bit... but otherwise just a regular bleed process, only more convenient.

The internal spring and check ball corrode, you want photos?

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The internal spring and check ball corrode, you want photos?

• Stainless steel spring
  • Stainless steel ball
  • Brass retainer

As noted in my post, mine are working great... but I accept that you are not a fan.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, piotrek said:
  • Stainless steel spring
  • Stainless steel ball
  • Brass retainer

As noted in my post, mine are working great... but I accept that you are not a fan.

I probably got them when they first came out could be 15 years ago and they weren't stainless I'm glad they are now or what you got were and if you're happy I'm happy I just like to be able to vacuum bleeding I found that the spring has too much tension to allow a vacuum bleeder to work have you found otherwise?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I probably got them when they first came out could be 15 years ago and they weren't stainless I'm glad they are now or what you got were and if you're happy I'm happy I just like to be able to vacuum bleeding I found that the spring has too much tension to allow a vacuum bleeder to work have you found otherwise?

Not a good option if vacuum pump is your preferred way to bleed, and really would just defeat the purpose. I used a syringe to purge old lines when I was installing the SS kit... which worked slooow but okay. In retrospect I should have just installed standard OE bleeders for the entire line change process and then swap them back when done.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Got the Lightechs installed. Look good. Hopefully they are a quality product and do their job. Waiting for the new axle and nut to arrive. Pulled the cover off the front sprocket to clean and saw the teeth were toast. Now I have to order new sprockets and chains. I miss my shaft drive. 

20210121_154219.jpg

Screenshot_20210121-202608_Gallery.jpg

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, rodb47 said:

Pulled the cover off the front sprocket to clean and saw the teeth were toast. Now I have to order new sprockets and chains. I miss my shaft drive. 

Screenshot_20210121-202608_Gallery.jpg

Wow, the teeth on that sprocket are really hooked, how many miles on it?

9 minutes ago, betoney said:

Wow, the teeth on that sprocket are really hooked, how many miles on it?

16,000. Rear sprocket still looks good. I'll be checking this more often. I figured the rear would go before the front. I was wrong.

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, rodb47 said:

16,000. Rear sprocket still looks good. I'll be checking this more often. I figured the rear would go before the front. I was wrong.

Sprocket Center's Superlite sprockets are excellent, they wear like iron.  Even when the chain is done, the sprockets show very little wear.

Sprocket Center is dedicated to being the world's premium provider of...

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, rodb47 said:

Got the Lightechs installed. Look good. Hopefully they are a quality product and do their job. Waiting for the new axle and nut to arrive. Pulled the cover off the front sprocket to clean and saw the teeth were toast. Now I have to order new sprockets and chains. I miss my shaft drive. 

20210121_154219.jpg

Yes I know they're expensive but you'll enjoy the Lightechs for their adjustment simplicity. 🙂

• Thumbsup 2

Took the Tracer out for a solo blast through the local national park to bed the new big brakes in. 
Stoked with the performance of them and they are still a bit off being bedded in fully. I do wish the master cylinder had more of a solid feel like my old Fz6 with the same calipers but that is the price we pay for having ABS.

10 hours ago, rodb47 said:

Generally, you're right. Your situation is an outlier. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09