What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member

You suck

High today was 31

The sun came out for 30 seconds a couple of days ago

at least the clouds keep the heat in, 

I haven't even cleaned the bike since my last ride I think in December early

Everything froze A couple of weeks ago and hasn't thawed and probably won't until we get a freakish warm Moto haiku

Moto haiku

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I took a quick ride to test my new Sena 5s. I had an SMH5 that died just out of warranty, and that left a sour taste for the brand. But the guy at my local shop talked me into it. 

I took a 10 mile ride around the periphery of town on some farm roads. The 5s HD speakers are a massive improvement. It also helps that my new Shoei Neotec 2 is a lot quieter than my previous Scorpion Exo-GT3000. The SMH5 speakers were virtually useless above 60 mph, but the 5s was clear up to 85 mph, even at half volume. The FM tuner is nice, too.

I was just going to fill a growler after a day of yard work, but the Sena test was a good excuse to take the scenic route.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You suck

High today was 31

The sun came out for 30 seconds a couple of days ago

at least the clouds keep the heat in, 

I haven't even cleaned the bike since my last ride I think in December early

Everything froze A couple of weeks ago and hasn't thawed and probably won't until we get a freakish warm Moto haiku

Moto haiku

I know the feeling, this time of year I take what I can get, even if it is just a quick 2.5 - 3 hour afternoon ride. 

Between being stuck inside due to crap weather and your upcoming surgery, you will be going stir crazy by this coming Spring.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Wow that's a keeper when you get a new motor also see if you can restore the treadle pictures in the meantime are always appreciated for us toolaholics who appreciate craftsmanship and the genius that existed going back really thousands of years but since the Iron Age anyway LOL

The foot pedal assembly is long gone I am afraid. The motor looks period though. It is a little bit gutless though.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, betoney said:

I know the feeling, this time of year I take what I can get, even if it is just a quick 2.5 - 3 hour afternoon ride. 

Between being stuck inside due to crap weather and your upcoming surgery, you will be going stir crazy by this coming Spring.

I hoping to stave off insanity with the maintenance I must do on the FJ (I did fit the X-Blaster tail light for warranty reasons ahead of schedule), a significant mod & maintenance list for the VTR, and want to reassemble the RD400 top end (bottom end done).  I'm told I'll be up and at em in 5 weeks after L4/5 fusion but if I let them also do my right rotator cuff (based on the left being a bitch) and/or torn elbow tendons, then I wll be down for the count; let alone getting ruptured C4/5 discs fixed.  People say I look great for my age (I have pretty full head of hair and little gray even in my beard, no wrinkles, etc.), I respond my saying "Looks can be deceiving!"  Not LOL

The sun has been out a bit today... 🙂

• Thumbsup 3

Took a long ride before the incoming ban on interstate travel, My new Michelin Road 5 got a puncture, not sure what causes it on the highway, likely a metal piece, To call Tow Truck would need to wait at least an hour or more, luckily was near highway exit and check Dr Google, nearest bike shop is 4.5km away. with only my light weight 68kg, push myself to the front and ride 5-10km/h. after 2km, stop again to let the tires cool down (not sure if it helps but sure nice to have a cigi puff before move on !), inching my way to a workshop only to find they only have plug kit and mine cannot be repair, hence no choice have wife to get a new tires (they dont sell our size tires) and drive to the shop to have it change. taking my puncture tires back to shop sometime this week to see if they have a solution to salvage my tires. 

Came back and was too tired to do anything else, the next day our local lottery draw, my bike number plate came out 2nd prize, HUH ! 

hway.jpeg

hway1.jpeg

1 hour ago, WKE002 said:

Took a long ride before the incoming ban on interstate travel, My new Michelin Road 5 got a puncture, not sure what causes it on the highway, likely a metal piece, To call Tow Truck would need to wait at least an hour or more, luckily was near highway exit and check Dr Google, nearest bike shop is 4.5km away. with only my light weight 68kg, push myself to the front and ride 5-10km/h. after 2km, stop again to let the tires cool down (not sure if it helps but sure nice to have a cigi puff before move on !), inching my way to a workshop only to find they only have plug kit and mine cannot be repair, hence no choice have wife to get a new tires (they dont sell our size tires) and drive to the shop to have it change. taking my puncture tires back to shop sometime this week to see if they have a solution to salvage my tires. 

Came back and was too tired to do anything else, the next day our local lottery draw, my bike number plate came out 2nd prize, HUH ! 

hway.jpeg

hway1.jpeg

Do they not do internal mushroom patches there? As long as the hole isn’t near the side wall they are safe as and plenty of my customers used them on the track and all. Very permanent solution.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 1/2/2021 at 5:05 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks, I know that but I've done the same thing on every bike going back to 1981 and not been stopped or cited for it.  I have been stopped by a WI Local Yokel in Waukesha Co or some stumblebutt co in Cheeseheadland for my Head Light Modulator.  He thought there was something wrong with the headlight.  I've been running a HLM since KRISS and Kisan came out with them in the early 80s, and always carried the USIDOT STATUTE TO EXPLAIN THEIR FUNCTION AND LEGALITY.  sorry for the caps...

I routinely have cagers pull over in front of me, a very few shake their fist or worse, others are clueless half brain dead mouthbreathers, more heading at me flash me, and surprisingly some often are nice enough to point it out but everyone sees me, which is the point of the matter.  I sometimes wear a SeeMee vest.  Adaptiv Tech, who makes a cool moto specific radar/laser detector used to make a electro-luminescent vest (now just a armored jacket which is really pretty cool too).

Conspicuity is 90% of staying alive, the other 10% is keeping rolling, as a shark drowns if it stops moving, and if you aren't there, they can't kill you.  In the early 70s I was a moto courier in San Francisco, so I learned that a moto is a great urban assault vehicle.  I used to commute into the "Loop" on the Edens and Kennedy Expwys.  But since cell phones got big I stopped...

jacket-green-front.jpg?v=1455035119

The GlowRider™ Electro-Luminescent Motorcycle Jacket features...

No input on a full exhaust system??

I'm guessing that was for me.  I am not a fan of pipe changes anymore, though in the past I've done it.  The little bit of added grunt and lesser weight would probably be achieved by taking a school or riding with the guys who know how to ride and take their suggestions and watch their lines.  Finally, I don't like giving radar gun officer a notice I'm heading towards them on the boil.  

On 1/13/2021 at 12:09 PM, fjray said:

I'm guessing that was for me.  I am not a fan of pipe changes anymore, though in the past I've done it.  The little bit of added grunt and lesser weight would probably be achieved by taking a school or riding with the guys who know how to ride and take their suggestions and watch their lines.  Finally, I don't like giving radar gun officer a notice I'm heading towards them on the boil.  

Hah this was my big take-away when I swapped the exhaust on my old MT07.  Power difference existed but was minimal (and could be replicated with bonus health by cutting back on the fast food), and it definitely did improve parking lot safety to be a lot louder, though - I miss people stopping and looking for me vs. just backing out into me. But I really noticed police tended to pay substantially more attention when I was approaching. 

The Tracer gets louder when you're really on it, but generally speaking it doesn't draw extra suspicion.  By the time they realize how fast I'm going, I'm already gone.  

• Supporting Member

Major maintenance done for the season... looked through the service manual for a simple make-work project. Cleaned and greased the shift pedal pivot shaft. A little bit of wear on the shaft and the sleeve, but not bad for 5 years (photos). Brake pedal pivot shaft next.

shift_pivot.PNG.ff6e5c5b5ef67eb8242179328d462316.PNG  shift_sleeve.PNG.bdeebe4b3012b0abf1f707890627f401.PNG

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Hah this was my big take-away when I swapped the exhaust on my old MT07.  Power difference existed but was minimal (and could be replicated with bonus health by cutting back on the fast food), and it definitely did improve parking lot safety to be a lot louder, though - I miss people stopping and looking for me vs. just backing out into me. But I really noticed police tended to pay substantially more attention when I was approaching. 

The Tracer gets louder when you're really on it, but generally speaking it doesn't draw extra suspicion.  By the time they realize how fast I'm going, I'm already gone.  

I've been sorely tempted to get a full exhaust system rather than cut and put a slip on but being stealthy has its advantages and I have twin horns that are pretty loud. I was also concerned an aftermarket header system may interfere with my SW Motech skid plate, so I think I'm going to forget it and lose the 10 lb I've  gained during this pandemic, the covid-10

Thought I needed to adjust my valves but checked my records and found I only have 10-12000 since the last check when they were fine; after the first check which I did before it was due per the manual, finding everything tight

Even my plugs don't need to be changed

So I'll clean it since my last ride in November, change the oil, install the FJR Union Bolt so I don't have the problem with filters not fitting anymore (since they went convex from concave), put in some Techron, run it and wait for spring 

When I feel the urge to ride I go dig out a pair of nice gloves and put them on to see how they feel, and watch races from last season in MotoGP and Superbike

sigh

• Thumbsup 2

12 hours ago, piotrek said:

Cleaned and greased the shift pedal pivot shaft.

How did you access that? I've already tried and my OEM muffler was in the way. I'd have to remove the swingarm through shaft to do it. Was more then I wanted to do at the time.