Windshield for new 900 GT 2018

vic

• Supporting Member
So I finally found an MRA dealer here in the states that carries the 2019 touring screen and ordered it last week. Threw it on this morning. On my 30 mile commute at 80+mph I can say that the airflow is now cleaner, but still hits in the helmet so it's still noisy. I wear earplugs so it's doable. I found my head wasn't being pulverized anymore. SO it's an improvement, but it's not perfect. I'll keep it and get a shorty too. The best part of it to me is the looks. I think it looks pretty good on there compared to the stocker.    

20181115-132853.jpg

That is pretty much my experience with it too.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

So I finally found an MRA dealer here in the states that carries the 2019 touring screen and ordered it last week. Threw it on this morning. On my 30 mile commute at 80+mph I can say that the airflow is now cleaner, but still hits in the helmet so it's still noisy. I wear earplugs so it's doable. I found my head wasn't being pulverized anymore. SO it's an improvement, but it's not perfect. I'll keep it and get a shorty too. The best part of it to me is the looks. I think it looks pretty good on there compared to the stocker.    

20181115-132853.jpg

That is pretty much my experience with it too.

I will add though, at under 70mph. It's MUCH improved in the high setting. So if you're putting along on back country roads, you will love it compared to the stock screen. With the stock screen you can start to feel the buffeting and noise as slow as 35mph. So there's that

I was hoping it would be better over 80 because that's what my commute consists of generally, but I'll accept it over a barn door screen. 

• 5 months later...

The GT is a bike with limited fairing and rather small OEM screen so no wonder we are getting some noise and buffeting. Unless you are hidden behind a "barn door" type screen, you are never going to be in a bubble of still air. Another small screen of any brand or shape will hardly change things.

I have installed the MRA Sport X-creen extension on the original screen and it is working fairly well. I am 5-10 and I have the screen now in the middle of adjustable range. It throws the air over my helmet and it is relatively quiet, except in cross winds. This is the second X-creen I installed, previously on Africa Twin, and both installs were improvement.

I had many bikes with various sizes of fairing and screen including BMW RT and it has been my experience that an ideal screen is very elusive thing. As I said, unless you are behind a barn door the wind is always an issue.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...

I've been using the Puig Racing windscreen this summer and it's been a huge improvement over the stock shield.  Nice clean air and great looks (IMO) to boot.

Things are starting to cool off a bit now so I guess the search for a touring screen is next...

20190822_155254_resized.thumb.jpg.97bc400d4e9b17be74b9cf920de329ba.jpg

20190822_155315.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• 5 weeks later...

I have tried the Puig Touring screen today. It is the only screen I can try here in the Netherlands without having to buy it first.

Unfortunately, it is not the right screen for me. Lots of buffering and noise in all up/down positions. Besides that, I don’t like having such a huge screen in front of me. But that’s just my personal preference.

However, I ended up with buying the small Puig clip-on screen. It is just enough to keep the airflow going over my helmet without the buffering. Of course it doesn’t offer much protection from wind/rain but I can live with that.

Edited by Michiel900GT
  • Thumbsup 1

On 9/21/2019 at 9:14 PM, Michiel900GT said:

I have tried the Puig Touring screen today. It is the only screen I can try here in the Netherlands without having to buy it first.

Unfortunately, it is not the right screen for me. Lots of buffering and noise in all up/down positions. Besides that, I don’t like having such a huge screen in front of me. But that’s just my personal preference.

However, I ended up with buying the small Puig clip-on screen. It is just enough to keep the airflow going over my helmet without the buffering. Of course it doesn’t offer much protection from wind/rain but I can live with that.

Hey, what is your height? I´m 6' tall and considering this windshield since i can buy it used for cheaper ;)

On 8/22/2019 at 10:04 PM, roadwarrior said:

I've been using the Puig Racing windscreen this summer and it's been a huge improvement over the stock shield.  Nice clean air and great looks (IMO) to boot.

Things are starting to cool off a bit now so I guess the search for a touring screen is next...

20190822_155254_resized.thumb.jpg.97bc400d4e9b17be74b9cf920de329ba.jpg

20190822_155315.jpg

Same screen here in light tint. Looks good, no head banging or noise. Hits me top of chest where i like it, down position a little lower for when the sun comes out.  It's always up.

• Thumbsup 2

On 9/21/2019 at 10:14 PM, Michiel900GT said:

So, an update on my previous post. After riding with the new clip-on screen for a two weeks I felt it was good, but mainly for non-highway tours or short rides on the highway. Although I try to avoid highway (boring and too much noise), sometimes the highway is the fastest way to get to a destination....

So I went back to the dealer where I tried the Puig screen. He had a National Cycle Vstream Touring screen in stock and allowed me to take a test ride with it. First impression: less wobbly than the large Puig screen, better air flow but still a bit to much turbulence around the helmet. I then fixed my clip-on screen on top of the Vstream. Just one word: WOW!

I can drive up to 130km/h (80+ miles) with the visor open. 150+ km/h and I can still make a phone call or listen to music with my Sena headset. Actually, I wanted to test the noise level so I called my wife while going 130km/h with the visor open. I could still hear her and she didn't notice any noise. I am really happy about the screen combination.

So, I bought the screen and the dealer will send my original screen to my home address (doesn't fit in the panniers unless I fold it:-).

There is a bit of a downside too. With the screen in the upper position and the clip-on almost completely up, the airflow is perfect but I'm looking just over the edge of the screens (but still in comfortable riding position). And in the summer, the lack of wind on my body might becoming a bit hot.

However, the good news is that I can hear the motor now instead of the wind. And for non-highway tours in the summer I can still mount the original Yamaha screen (with/without the clip-on). I also tried the smaller Vstream sport/tour screen with the Puig clip-on but that was more noisy and gave worse airflow than my original screen.

The 1,5 hour ride home (90% highway) was a delight! So much better than the ride to the store....

For those who wonder: I'm 6,1 tall and always wear Alpine custom made ear protection.

Edited by Michiel900GT
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also in the search of finding the perfect screen.

Had the puig touring vario, it seemed good in the right conditions but, I have to sit forward closer to the screen to prevent buffeting. Too close for comfort.

Too bad the buffeting was so bad I even have a peep in my ears right now despite of wearing ear plugs...

If I could just tilt the screen a little in angle it would be perfect I guess... But I can't see any way to get that done

Makes me wonder if the option Micheal in the post above is mentioning would be perfect? Vstream touring with vario, tho it is the same height.. or if I need to go madstad?

Madstad seems to be able to tilt the angle and height... Dunno if anyone has the madstad and what height they advice on the screen? Larger than what madstad itself recommends? And if you can alter the screen up and down in height slot because of their bracket

3 hours ago, Soullancer said:

Also in the search of finding the perfect screen.

Had the puig touring vario, it seemed good in the right conditions but, I have to sit forward closer to the screen to prevent buffeting. Too close for comfort.

Too bad the buffeting was so bad I even have a peep in my ears right now despite of wearing ear plugs...

If I could just tilt the screen a little in angle it would be perfect I guess... But I can't see any way to get that done

Makes me wonder if the option Micheal in the post above is mentioning would be perfect? Vstream touring with vario, tho it is the same height.. or if I need to go madstad?

Madstad seems to be able to tilt the angle and height... Dunno if anyone has the madstad and what height they advice on the screen? Larger than what madstad itself recommends? And if you can alter the screen up and down in height slot because of their bracket

I've always enjoyed my CalSci screens.

'15 FJ09

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2018 at 9:06 AM, bowlin01 said:

Well, I've now been out a few times with the Puig screen fitted and it works a treat for me. With the screen on the highest setting I got up to 92 mph (on a private road) and could ride with my visor open no problem.

Not an attractive screen, but I'm more of a function over form guy anyway and if I cared what people though of looks I'd lose a few pounds, dye my grey hairs and get some botox! :-) 

A very, very, happy GT owner now, all necessary (for me) changes/ accessories done!

Cheers
Steve

Wondering how tall you are/inseam? I, like many of you are searching for a screen that cuts the wind noise on the GT. Does your Puig have an adjustable foil on it?

@tadv I'm 5"8 with a 28" inseam and yes I got the version with the adjustable lip on it.

The only other thing I've done is put some 'harder' rubber washers on the screen to stop it bouncing around too much, but I still love it and it hasn't moved from it's highest position since I fitted it.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_7620.JPG

Edited by bowlin01
  • Thumbsup 1

Thanks for your quick reply, Steve! I'm 5'10", dealing with tinnitus & really want to come up with a solution to the wind noise of the stock screen. I bought an adjustable foil from Moto Party to try on the OEM shield for the hell of it. I found that raising it up almost all of the way up, to about 3.5" above the OEM on it's high setting I was able to eliminate a considerable amount of that noise. But it seemed pretty shaky & ideally I wanted a wider screen for colder weather. Was considering the OEM touring screen, but Yamaha won't seem to allow any returns on it if I don't like it. Any tall screen is not going to look as cool as small one, but I think the Puig is actually a better looking screen over the Yamie touring version & it's adjustable foil is a cleaner mount than universal foil I purchased. I'm guessing that shake you're trying to eliminate comes from the added height that the OEM mount wasn't really built to absorb. Did your rubber mount mod help with some of that shake? Also wondering how much higher the top of your screen is over stock, both with & without the foil raised? And if Puig will let me return it if it doesn't fly well with my 5'10 height? Sounds like you're really happy with it at high speeds. No ill handling issues at that 90+mph? That is also important to me for sure. Cheers for help, Steve!