2021 GT Updates

Darold

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Same here, the silver kind of reminds me of my past 2006 Liquid Silver FZ1. 

Hey @betoney - have you ever read "132 Days: A Journey, A Journal and Some Whiskey"? 

It's about a guy who rides across America (well, parts of it) on a silver 2003 FZ1 - dubbed the Grey Goose. It's a pretty entertaining read - very thorough and detailed. I picked it up on Amazon for less than $20.

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

35 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Totally agree with you.  At first I really didn't like the look but seeing more and better photos and videos it has grown on me.    If I were looking to buy a bike today would defiantly wait until March or April but I like my 2020 and it was $3,000 less than the new one.  I was planning on riding till it wore out but may put 30,000 miles on it and then trade for a new model in 3 years.  

This is a sound strategy and is what I would have done as well.

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

Hey @betoney - have you ever read "132 Days: A Journey, A Journal and Some Whiskey"? 

It's about a guy who rides across America (well, parts of it) on a silver 2003 FZ1 - dubbed the Grey Goose. It's a pretty entertaining read - very thorough and detailed. I picked it up on Amazon for less than $20.

Rob

Never heard of it, I'll have to check it out. - Thanks

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Assuming this is legit (the huge Yamaha sticker on the wheel does seem suspicious), it looks like the new design theme of the Tracer 9 may carry through some of the rest of the lineup.   

6DF4EA42-5195-4541-8227-B0119B214D63.thumb.jpeg.ae34ba67f2fb891c0f74c70bb29a5db6.jpeg

The new Tracer is growing on me, especially in the grey where the transition between all the various panels is less obvious.    I’m keeping my FJ for now, but the new bike seems like a nice step forward.   

• Thumbsup 3

33 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

The new Tracer is growing on me, especially in the grey where the transition between all the various panels is less obvious.    I’m keeping my FJ for now, but the new bike seems like a nice step forward.   

It's growing on me too. So much so that I might put a deposit down on one soon.

The one thing I need to find out, is what the gearing on the new bike is. I read in one of the many articles something about the gearing being tweaked. The gearing on my 2019 GT was perfect for me. I hope they didn't shorten the gearing to make it more "sport-oriented" as that's one of the big reasons I didn't buy another Ninja 1000SX - always searching for 7th gear was a real drag.

I'm going to do some digging on this, but if anyone else finds anything - please drop it in this thread!

Edit: found this - "Also, the ratios for 1st and 2nd gears are incrementally higher than in the older inline-3’s transmission" and this " first and second gear ratios have been revised to match the increase in torque at lower engine RPM with smoother gear changes courtesy of a redesigned shift fork."

Sounds positive, right?

Rob

Edited by rlambke19
  • Thumbsup 5

24 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

Edit: found this - "Also, the ratios for 1st and 2nd gears are incrementally higher than in the older inline-3’s transmission" and this " first and second gear ratios have been revised to match the increase in torque at lower engine RPM with smoother gear changes courtesy of a redesigned shift fork."

Sounds positive, right?

Rob

That is all I have seen from UltimateMotorcycling. I am hoping they have some sort of media/demo day prior to my bike coming in so that I can having something to read and hold me over while the snow falls. Hopefully if that occurs a bit more can be answered as well. 

• Thumbsup 2

24 minutes ago, MightBeSasquatch said:

That is all I have seen from UltimateMotorcycling. I am hoping they have some sort of media/demo day prior to my bike coming in so that I can having something to read and hold me over while the snow falls. Hopefully if that occurs a bit more can be answered as well. 

Agreed - that is what would normally happen. They'd invite the press to ride it in Spain or something and we'd be inundated with videos/reviews. Depends on whether or not Covid changes things this time around or not.

We can at least console each other on here in the meantime! Lol

Rob

• Supporting Member

I ran across this article on the MT09 forum and found it interesting that they would put so much R&D time and effort into intake sound but making the CP3 motor less noisy is a bonus.  Looking at the airbox in the video, it is completely re-designed and appears to actually use the air scoops on the new bikes.  I am excited to see this new ground-up revision.

2021-Yamaha-MT-09-6-1200x800.jpg

A lot of work goes into the design of a motorcycle exhaust because riding...

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Nope, I call marketing BS 101 on that one.

Funny how "they had to do a lot of work to meet emissions" can be spun into "a pleasing exhaust note without being obnoxiously loud"

I remember when the euro standard for pedestrian safely came out and everyone had to raise bumper/hood heights.  Every manufacturer claimed a "more aerodynamic and streamlined look", but no just regulatory BS being spun up.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
2 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

2021 Tracer 9 GT in "Liquid Metal" ordered for April delivery.

Can't wait!

Congrats on pulling the trigger. Nice bike. I am guessing you took advantage of the Yamaha Canada promo.

Slim chances for Yamaha demo rides this spring... but I will go ride the thing at first opportunity.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

58 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

I like the new tracer. With that being said, My next bike will be shaftdrive.

I said that same thing.......and here I am with another chain drive bike, just not many good options with a shaft unless you go Bavarian. ;)

• Thumbsup 2

5 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

I said that same thing.......and here I am with another chain drive bike, just not many good options with a shaft unless you go Bavarian. ;)

Yeah, I'm a big fan of shaft drive, but... There's just not many options, and fewer with a performance angle to them.