What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

14 hours ago, mkvgti said:

Took off my rear mud guard to see if I could extend length for reducing splash when rain. I envy the shape of MT-09 rear mud guard which shape is quite straight....

RUNV6600.JPG

Can you show us what you've come up with and what materials you used? Thank you. 

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, mingo said:

Can you show us what you've come up with and what materials you used? Thank you. 

OK, here's what I did today. I used EVA foam (a plastic or a cellular foam, what ever you call, its a soft foam 3mm thick) in order to fit the extension to the curve of rear fender. Costs about $2.50, took me approx 15min lol. 

1. Black square sheet is the plastic foam. (t=3mm)

1. EVA foam.jpg

2. traced rear fender edge with a pen and cut out from cardboard paper.

2. craft paper.jpg

3. also traced and cut out from the plastic foam. 

3. EVA foam cut out.jpg

4. attached with adhesive tape which I had for home use, it'll probably fly away in a certain speed... even if I put a weight on it to leave it for a day.

4. attached with adhesive tape.jpg

Edited by mkvgti
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mkvgti said:

OK, here's what I did today. I used EVA foam (a plastic or a cellular foam, what ever you call, its a soft foam 3mm thick) in order to fit the extension to the curve of rear fender. Costs about $2.50, took me approx 15min lol. 

I like that idea. Isn't EVA foam open-cell, so it will absorb water? I might try something like that with more of a plastic material...thanks!

Last night I washed off all of the winter grime, and applied Mother's CMX to the paint. I reinstalled my Green Chile soft rack in preparation for a short weekend jaunt I'll be taking this weekend. I'll get some pictures later today in the sunlight -- dark garage pictures of a clean bike are hardly different than dark garage pictures of a dirt bike 😄

• Thumbsup 1

Went for a wonderful ride through Kananaskis on the edge of the Rockies, and got to scrape up my pegs some and push the new tires a bit.  Really nice to finally get a chance to do an extended, spirited ride after a winter of tamer riding.  

Lots of other riders out too, people giving each other a good amount of space but still friendly chats at the natural rest spots.  

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

I like that idea. Isn't EVA foam open-cell, so it will absorb water? I might try something like that with more of a plastic material...thanks!

Last night I washed off all of the winter grime, and applied Mother's CMX to the paint. I reinstalled my Green Chile soft rack in preparation for a short weekend jaunt I'll be taking this weekend. I'll get some pictures later today in the sunlight -- dark garage pictures of a clean bike are hardly different than dark garage pictures of a dirt bike 😄

Thanks... uh well, I had a short ride this morning for a test. It seemed Okay for outward trip, but when I returned home... the extension was caught by a tire. 180km/h speed or air current may have caught the extension.

Maybe I extended its length too much. I'll try 2/3 extending next time.

6. testdrive2.jpg

7. testdrive3.jpg

IMG_7998.jpg

Edited by mkvgti
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
On 4/22/2020 at 1:27 PM, Willie17FJ-09 said:

They look to be nice quality bags. I bought them from revzilla. Should be nice for motel stays while traveling 

Yeah, they're pretty good!

As a follow up, here is what the old bags are looking like, vs the new.  New = rubberized interior and what appears to be water resistant zippers and generally heavier material.  The new seams appear to be constructed similarly as the old - not sure if it's visible in the photos of the old, but I did try to have them repaired - but they just frayed again.  The old bags are nearly threadbare, and have not aged well at all.  The new ones just feel far more substantial.  Yes, they are a bit bigger, but if your touring bags have Rok straps or something, it's no big deal at all to cinch them up, and the lid closes fine.  I like that they came with shoulder straps, too...might be handy lugging them in to work and whatnot.

Old:

IMG_20200430_120744.jpg

Really bad seams:

IMG_20200430_120753.jpg

Shot from the inside - pretty much toast, lots of thinned-out material:

IMG_20200430_182005.jpg

New - seams are similar, hope they hold up better over time:

IMG_20200430_120805.jpg

Edited by knyte

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

I bought a Power Tye 15"x15" cargo net and strap ring attachments.  The hooks can be removed and located anywhere you see fit and they have a hook on the back for pulling slack on the net and attaching the excess. 

This will be perfect for storing my rain gear while on a road trip or lunch while on a day trip.

s-l400.png

STRAP RING MOOSE RACING. STRAP RINGS. Condition: New. Item...

50002.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

@betoney you will like that cargo net, I have the same one and it does a great job. It looks as good as new after 5 years of use!

• Thanks 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

@betoney you will like that cargo net, I have the same one and it does a great job. It looks as good as new after 5 years of use!

Its definitely a high quality net and I love how versatile it is, and only $10.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

After sporting a red 'hairdo' for a few months I've decided to go back to my natural colour - Grey.

Paint2.thumb.jpg.59ca4809abef78bdfc4475643107acff.jpg

Grey.thumb.jpg.dee44ae3329a643785a44e7159429321.jpg

The beauty of rubber paint - just peel it off when you want a change.  Pretty well came off in one piece.

Plastidip.thumb.jpg.6ef0cc82aeff6a35c366a8cc6241a73a.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1