What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

I installed a clutch arm from an R3.  I was reading the FZ09 forum and someone mentioned that the longer arm gives it a slightly lighter pull so I figured I would give it a try, it was $11-$12.  The clutch pull IS noticeably lighter but I cant really say a quantifiable percentage. 

This is the same modification that folks used to do using the clutch arm from the Bolt, except this is cheaper.

CA1.jpg

CA2.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

How do you like it @betoney I read the same post and ordered one. I have not gotten around to putting it on yet. I have the R&G case covers on my bike and eyeballing it,  looks like I will have do a bit of file work on the covers.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, roadrash83 said:

How do you like it @betoney I read the same post and ordered one. I have not gotten around to putting it on yet. I have the R&G case covers on my bike and eyeballing it,  looks like I will have do a bit of file work on the covers.

I haven't taken it out for a ride but the lever pull feels a bit lighter. 

When I installed the new arm, I lined up the marks like usual and then moved the arm 2-3 teeth further outbound (clock-wise) to get the correct cable adjustment/engagement.  YMMV.

If we have decent weather, I will try and get out tomorrow for a quick ride.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I haven't taken it out for a ride but the lever pull feels a bit lighter. 

When I installed the new arm, I lined up the marks like usual and then moved the arm 2-3 teeth further outbound (clock-wise) to get the correct cable adjustment/engagement.  YMMV.

If we have decent weather, I will try and get out tomorrow for a quick ride.

will be interested in your opinion Betoney....if it's worth doing .....

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

This is the same modification that folks used to do using the clutch arm from the Bolt

Used the Bolt arm a couple years back. I found that the pull action was more stepped rather than progressive (maybe because of the longer R1 cable required the arm be offset by a tooth clockwise on the splined shaft). Watch the angle at which the cable moves in the steel exit tube... should come out clean and not rub against the tube. Looks alright in your photo though.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

PIAA LP270 fog lights, new EK chain with screw on master link, new Superlite sprockets in stock sizes, added extra 1/2" spacers to the upper screws on the windshield to try to move it more upright and away from me.  Bought a T-lock so I can lock my quick release helmet to the bike when I run short errands.

New chain and rear sprocket.  I haven't cleaned up the master link screws.

20191115_221219.jpg

Spacers

20191115_192222.jpg

Fog lamp switch held with double sided tape for now over the blanks on the left switch gear

20191115_192150.jpg

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, 3sum said:

@1moreroad a screw on master link? Do tell. Never heard of that one!

EK_Chain_Gold_Screw_Type_Master_Link__81

Purchase the EK ZVX3 Series 525 ZX-Ring Chain Screw Type Master Link...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, 3sum said:

@1moreroad a screw on master link? Do tell. Never heard of that one!

Stumbled on it in a post somewhere.  Instead of buying a $90 chain tool, I bought a $17 screw on master link.  I only need to change my chain every 2 - 3 years, and I only have one bike, so it made sense.  You have to know to look for them, but they're on the Sprocket Center website.  There aren't a ton of reviews on the internet, but every one I found has been positive up including liter bikes.

I used this Youtube video as a guide (which exactly matches the written instructions.  It took about as long to thread the chain on the sprockets as it did to install the link.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Awesome, thanks. Yeah, I bought a Motion Pro PBT tool for a little less than $90 but I really like e idea of the screw on option. Each time I put a new chain on, all is easy up to the point of flaring the new rivets. I always second guess myself whether I’m flaring it enough or too much. 

I use RK chain,  and only the best they make, the G525GXW chain, is what I would use,  they use a flare rivet....

I have an RK chain tool, and it will only flare it the proper amount and then stops (goes tight-stops).....

excellent tool and works very well....I ran 520 chain on my FZ-07, and am considering it for the 09,

but am probably going to stay with the 525 chain....

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

got my fake M4 exhaust today, and manged to get it installed after I got back from a 100 mile ride thru the mountains to Powers, Or, ....from Winston, Or  ...via West Fork of Cow Creek

this exhaust is the $139.95 Cheapie on  Amazonic :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q7MS1SV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sounds really good...deep and noisy  LOLOL....

we'll have to see how it lasts....looks like it was made in the same factory "Somewhere"  as the M4 slip - on....

had to take a hammer (small ball-peen),  to the hanger bracket and "Adjust"  it a  tad...othern that, fit very well...

has a DB killer, and a removable plug that goes into that, held to the DB killer with a phillips machine screw,

complete with furnished lockwasher....for that money, best exhaust I ever bought....also changed the oil and filter and added the magic potion.....

hope all ya'll had fun, I surely did....rode, made it noisier, (REALLY needed that !), and changed the slickum....

not a bad day forra OL'  fossil....caio dudes

BugsinTeeth........

1 hour ago, Michiel900GT said:

I tried to mount mirror extenders on my GT, but they do not fit. The TCS switch gets in the way.....too bad...

What sort or brand did you fit?   The lhs/ clutch side of my extenders, which both lift and move the mirror stems outwards, did slightly foul the TCS switch.   I simply swivelled the extender around a bit, which fixed it, albeit losing a tiny bit - less than a quarter of an inch, I guesstimate - of outward extension.   To keep things symmetrical I also slightly swivelled the rhs extender to match.    These extenders are great for improving rearward vision...  

P1060079.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I did half a job on the GT today.   The set of four engine covers arrived in quick time, only 17 days since ordering, and I set-to installing them.   The parts are very nicely made and finished, with metal bushings where bolts go through, and an excellent indistinguishable-from-OE finish.  Clear and simple illustrated instructions too. Quality gear.

The rhs alternator cover went on first, very easily, and I did not lose any oil, which the notes suggested may happen.   Looks good.

Not so good on the rhs (clutch) side however.   The instructions say to remove the heat-shield first, but there is no heat shield on the GT (and therefore likely not on the Gen2 Tracer 900 model either).  Accordingly, the shape of the OE clutch cover seems to be a little different to earlier pre-GT engines, and the new part simply wouldn't fit.   In the first pic below the offending clutch cover is top right.  Second pic is of the installed alternator cover.

Not the end of the world: I'll take a good long look at the website the kit was ordered from, and take it from there.

Pix below. 

LATER EDIT: would any member who has bought covers like these for the GT kindly give me a link to the vendor you used.   I am reluctant to pay the around $400 asked for a legit branded product: these Chinese copies are marked GBRacing, are pretty nice, and quite good enough for me at about AUD$130 for the four- (4)-piece kit.  TIA..

P1060082.JPG

P1060084.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.