Seat Slope Mod

I just put Clegg78's kit on my Tracer GT (with a Seat Concepts seat). Thanks a bunch for designing a clean and functional solution to a nagging problem! Installation took 20 minutes. Instructions were great. And no more washers and wheel weights! The Seat Concepts purchase made the seat more comfortable but didn't do much to fix the forward lean. Clegg78's kit has me sitting pretty.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Velcro.  there is industrial grade velcro used to secure the riser pads in place.   I was cutting out the velcro squares by hand before, and now I just made it more precise and WAY faster for me. 

WILL MY SET GET THE LASER CUT UNITS WAS IT SENT BEFORE YOUR RUNNING CHANGE?

NO MATTER...

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

WILL MY SET GET THE LASER CUT UNITS WAS IT SENT BEFORE YOUR RUNNING CHANGE?

NO MATTER...

haha no need to yell :)  and no, yours was the hand cut.  Which is fine :)   The shipments today are laser cut.   All it means is the velcro may be slightly more symmetrical.    I did the change mainly cause the scissors I was using is so gummed up with velcro glue that it was becoming a pain, and to make my workflow easier.... and it's cool to laser cut stuff. 

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

haha no need to yell :)  and no, yours was the hand cut.  Which is fine :)   The shipments today are laser cut.   All it means is the velcro may be slightly more symmetrical.    I did the change mainly cause the scissors I was using is so gummed up with velcro glue that it was becoming a pain, and to make my workflow easier.... and it's cool to laser cut stuff. 

Caps were stuck on...

Acetone on a rag cleans off the gum nicely.

Laser beam will also melt the kerfs and minimize fraying I'd think.

Can your laser cut Kevlar or carbon fiber?

We developed hydrojet cutting for trimming advanced composite components in the mid 70s at General Dynamics Convair Division Dept 31 Experimental down in San Diego when lasers were a pipe dream for that purpose (pun).  Also we were developing the Sciaky electron beam welding & cutting system within an enclosure pumped down under 5 atmosphers to minimize inclusions.

https://www.sciaky.com/eb-welding-systems/electron-beam-welding-solutions

The magnetic strip programable TI-59 was giving us new freedom when encoding to main frames was all else we had, as PCs were in their very infancy.  I'm no longer amazed anymore with the new fantastic tech that seems to pop up hourly in computing, design, science, manufacturing, materials and medicine.

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

the new fantastic tech that seems to pop up hourly

Yeah, industrial manufacturing has scaled down to home manufacturing, for sure.  It's a sizable disruption.

I'm just glad we have someone like @Clegg78to solve & contribute.

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

18 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Caps were stuck on...

Acetone on a rag cleans off the gum nicely.

Laser beam will also melt the kerfs and minimize fraying I'd think.

Can your laser cut Kevlar or carbon fiber?

Laser cutting is limited based on the off gas’s products.  CF (laminated) is generally not doable due to very toxic smoke from the epoxy layers.  Vinyl is also out as it breaks down into hydrochloric acid and the vapor eats the machine.  Vinyl also can generate phosgene gas when burned.

I had to look up the general polymers used in Velcro before it cut it. 

the observation about it cauterizing the kerf is a good one!  I’ve used this machine to custom cut nylon fabric before for a patch for that reason!

I would love to get a water jet though :) 

ok this went off topic fast ;)

Just finished installation of Clegg78's kit and I am impressed! There is a noticable reduction of the seat slope. Raining here now so a test ride is in the works for tomorrow. 350 mile round trip to Knoxville, TN and back should let me know real quick how much it helps.

• Thumbsup 2

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

2 minutes ago, 2NDCHILDHOOD said:

Has anyone tried it on a 2021 GT?

I don’t believe so, and there are none in dealers around me so I can’t even check.  I heard the brackets are different though.  If I can get measurements  and pics I could draft up a set for it to test.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2NDCHILDHOOD said:

Has anyone tried it on a 2021 GT?

Went to look at a new 9GT yesterday (a red one,lovely bike) and I noticed that there is a visible slope on the seat. Don't know how it compares with the 900GT.

I have a Bagster on my bike.

Edited by Kenny A.
Added info.

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90