2021 GT Updates

Darold

• Premium Member

The Italian pics don't look too bad and the cat is the same as the MT-09 and both beg for a chin fairing that won't melt. I hate the bugcatcher between the headlights and dummy side honeycomb, which the 21 deep-sixed for a black band with some type of grill at the top, which could easily painted away.  Bigger news is the birdish nose treatment with twin projectors like fangs underneath.

Look what Ktoom did with the 790 Duke, every frigging 790 owner is selling theirs for the 890, or sending letter bombs to Austria.  Going up is the easy fix for Euro 5, and KTM is making everyone else look sick!  366# dry with only a 3.7 gal tank, 2.7 quarts of oil and .7 gallons coolant, and a 4.8# battery!!!  And top shelf electronics and brakes and kick ass power pushing 411# (is the 21 MT-09 417# WET OR DRY?).  I want a 890 Duke Gt at 450#!  How much could my 15 weigh with all the stuff I added?  Now we have a centerstand that is low and on the Cg. But with the Shad pannier mounts and top case rack, driving lights, skid plate, rad guard, bigger front rotors and MC, Razor R shock, Givi case guards with highway pegs, tank bag ring, front and rear fenda extenda, cel/gps mounts, bigger shield, another horn, McCruise, real tools, Sargent saddle, front and rear spools, what could my 15 weigh, typical stuff to add on, and it all adds up?? It's too light for a truck scale and I have a plastic/glass digital scale it would break...  I'm guessing 515??

This weeks copy of MCN has literally just come through my door,on the front cover the NEW mt09.Brilliant they have got rid of that hideous thing halfway up the back wheel,imo it was the worst thing i have seen on any bike in years.

Edited by yamtracergaz
Add more info.

I know I won't get one for sure - just bought a 2020 Tracer GT.  LOL when I traded my wonderful 2014 ZX6R 636 for a BMW F800GT and then started looking a year later I got lots of feedback from my wife.  I mentioned the Aprilia 660 a couple of days ago but had to quickly add I'm not thinking about getting one.  

Now if a tree falls on my house tonight and crushes the kitchen (wife's dream) and my Tracer GT in the garage below well maybe.  Hurricane arrives in 3 hours or so.  

Seriously though I look at the 2021 and think that would be nice but I'm still super happy with my 2020 Tracer GT so won't worry too much.  I would love the cornering ABS but the other stuff is more in the nice to have side.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, Bossanova said:

I’m trying to decide between a ‘19 base model, a ‘20 GT or the new one. I’m really hoping they look like the tracer 700, and NOT like that Italian picture above. This thing is sweet:

image.thumb.jpeg.272ec49e8fbe7475328ac82e64f24f0b.jpeg

Agreed, I really like the Tracer 700, I'm not sure why they aren't available here in the states.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

One other thing worth mentioning is the lighter wheels.  I don't know how much lighter they will be than previously.  However i know that when I had a track bike and put a set of lighter wheels on it the difference in handling was quite noticeable.  Bike transitioned from side to side with less effort and felt more responsive.  

I like that they have added the IMU and a two way quick shifter.  As much as i would like to have the latest version, I will be keeping my 19 for a few more years.  

• Thumbsup 4

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Other than perhaps wanting a slight bigger TFT display, I am quite fond of my 20 GT. The IMU is nice and all, but most certainly not something which I am that excited about, almost bought a new 20 V-Strom 1050XT and it has that technology. I'm sure whatever Yamaha does with the Tracer will make it even better, if I enjoy my 20 as much as I have a feeling I will......by the time I want another, who knows how much better it could be? I doubt they will upgrade the front spring and rear spring rates, as that is the crux of most any bike from the factory anyways.

3 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Other than perhaps wanting a slight bigger TFT display, I am quite fond of my 20 GT. The IMU is nice and all, but most certainly not something which I am that excited about, almost bought a new 20 V-Strom 1050XT and it has that technology. I'm sure whatever Yamaha does with the Tracer will make it even better, if I enjoy my 20 as much as I have a feeling I will......by the time I want another, who knows how much better it could be? I doubt they will upgrade the front spring and rear spring rates, as that is the crux of most any bike from the factory anyways.

That's the same camp I am in.  The IMU and R1 derived rider aids are cool if you are someone who REALLY needs the bike to drive itself or you are always pushing to the edge of adhesion/chassis capabilities.    It's cool, but I already feel like TCS and in some ways the Tracer implementation of ABS is too restrictive ( I want switchable ABS damnit!).     As someone who grew up riding on rudimentary bikes with no rider assists and shitty fueling maps, all these rider aids seem like gimmicks. (I've still never had ABS kick in when I wanted it to, many times when I didn't like on the rear on loose gravel,   and never have had TCS kick in any time other than when I purposely tried to get it to kick in on dirt :) ) 

Now most of the other changes on the MT-09.... I am kinda digging the direction they are going with most of them (aside from that chonky ass exhaust) 

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 2

I would also be in this camp if my 2019 GT hadn't been written off last month. Suffice to say I am in the market for a new Tracer. I can replace my '19 with the exact same bike (colour & all), get a 2020 or wait for the 2021.

I'm currently leaning towards the latter as long as I can get with the looks of it. The new updates wouldn't have been enough to tempt me to part with my old bike, but since that's no longer in the picture I'm thinking they might be worth it.  I'm guessing it will be offered in at least the red we saw in the spy shots - but not sure if that was the GT model or not. I would love a silver or grey - but my guess would be Yamaha will give us some bizarre colour combos.

Will also be curious what MSRP will be as with a brand new model, there won't be any discounts etc. like on new old stock.

Rob

• Thumbsup 1