What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, fddriver2 said:

20210324_155047.jpg

20210323_163429.jpg

Thanks a lot

I see your left side axle bolt head slot has even more slop in it than mine does.

As a tried to explain, I cut a maybe 3/16th inch wide strip of aluminium and Slid it Between the bolt head and  The top and bottom of the adjuster slot But shaped in a horizontal U, where the bottom of the U is at the back of the adjuster slot. I cover it with a black piece of duct tape  Which holds the U shim in place with the bolt head centred in the slot And retains it during tightening and I leave it there; keeps it cleaner, no one notices black tape.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Thanks a lot

I see your left side axle bolt head slot has even more slop in it than mine does.

As a tried to explain, I cut a maybe 3/16th inch wide strip of aluminium and Slid it Between the bolt head and  The top and bottom of the adjuster slot But shaped in a horizontal U, where the bottom of the U is at the back of the adjuster slot. I cover it with a black piece of duct tape  Which holds the U shim in place with the bolt head centred in the slot And retains it during tightening and I leave it there; keeps it cleaner, no one notices black tape.

I see what you are saying. But I'm not that fussy. I will say that  it's kind of disheartening to pay that kind of money and have that kind of slop. It is what it is. Time to go ride. 😀

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

(which I shim out with a U shaped strip of coke can, not Pepsi)?

Yet again another example of where....."Shims go better with Coke!"

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
22 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

One tiny tip if you haven't already done it is to put some blue locktite on those screws that hold the guard to the bike.  They have a tendency to back out.   Ask me how I know.

Hmm... thanks for the tip. First time removing the hugger since new, the bolts were on there pretty snug, but I will heed the caution. Updated the original post with the real plastic extender done and installed. 👍

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, piotrek said:

Hmm... thanks for the tip. First time removing the hugger since new, the bolts were on there pretty snug, but I will heed the caution. Updated the original post with the real plastic extender done and installed. 👍

Yes I was the same.  Untouched since new and no issues.  Removed them to attach a new hugger, tightened them up to where I thought they were before and before too long had either side backing themselves out - In fact twice before I actually lost one and then decided to add the blue magic.  No problems since.

Finally got around to installing the Givi Radiator Guard. This is one of those jobs where three hands would allow a curse-free installation; one hand for the allen wench,  one hand to hold the 10mm nut, and one hand to hold the guard in place while tightening fasteners.

Since I only had 2 hands... this installation wasn't curse-free... 🤬  😆

GiviRadGuard.thumb.jpg.7012736da72914560ababa0b6de14e8b.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, Warchild said:

Finally got around to installing the Givi Radiator Guard. This is one of those jobs where three hands would allow a curse-free installation; one hand for the allen wench,  one hand to hold the 10mm nut, and one hand to hold the guard in place while tightening fasteners.

Since I only had 2 hands... this installation wasn't curse-free... 🤬  😆

GiviRadGuard.thumb.jpg.7012736da72914560ababa0b6de14e8b.jpg

Wow I love the look of that.. it’s now on my list!

On 3/10/2021 at 2:49 AM, roy826 said:

Finally got everything together to Mount my Rottweiler Arrow CRG mirrors onto the stock hand guards. I used nylon spacers to bring the Rottweiler mounts flush with inside of hand guard. 1” long stainless M6 bolts to take up the extra depth verses how they use short screws on the much thinner Ktm hand guards. Pretty happy with them. Already knew they were a high quality mirror with a set mounted to the barkbusters on my Tenere 700. No more unclear right mirror snd no more mirror movement. 

Looks really nice with my puig short racing wind screen I’ll use for summer. Not to shabby with the stock wind screen. 

8367A55D-C814-4312-846D-B09211BFB821.jpeg

B848FBBA-B6A7-4E65-9573-6DECD14672BC.jpeg

D498D388-FF76-4D65-A93C-D33BB8B6AB51.jpeg

Mind sharing how the spacer looks like? 

• Thumbsup 2

Made a modification to the tool sold by @Clegg78.  No offense, but I found it hard to actually turn the preload the way it is.  And I think I have strong hands and fingers.  I can get a little more leverage now to make adjustments.

IMG_1348.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

25 minutes ago, Yamajank said:

Made a modification to the tool sold by @Clegg78.  No offense, but I found it hard to actually turn the preload the way it is.  And I think I have strong hands and fingers.  I can get a little more leverage now to make adjustments.

IMG_1348.jpg

I dig it!  I made one that was a T handle like that but In the end I just stuck with the round one as i found the angle got wonky T certain parts of the rotation for my hand.  I may post the T style one.  Btw I have a lot of my parts up on https://jk3d.us now for sale :)

I need to make a new one soon as I am getting Ohlins NIX30 cartridges installed :)

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Mounted a new Roadsmart 4 on the rear and remounted the K-tech shock after they did warranty work to replace a blown seal.  After looking at my preload setting, K-tech also went to a heavier spring.

When I removed the K-tech shock to send it back to them and mount the OE shock to keep riding, it took me maybe 2 hours including watching a 30 minute YouTube video carefully and moving slowly to not mess anything up.  This time it took me most of the weekend.  I couldn't get access to the lower shock mount bolt on the OE shock and then I couldn't get the new shock to line up.  One mistake was adding a washer on the left side of the top shock mount when there shouldn't have been.  That was the most frustrating.  But I never got the rear shock bolt to line up in a space either above the swingarm or in the hollow space inside the swingarm where I could easily unscrew the lower shock bolt and then reattach it.  I don't know why it was so much easier a couple of months ago.

It's done.  I finished it right before dinner last night, so I still need to take a test ride.

Next up - Chinese double bubble should arrive in about 2 weeks.  At that point, I'll be ready to pull the handguards and touring windscreen and get it ready for summer!

EDITED TO ADD: I got about 8700 miles out of the Roadsmart 2 which is not bad for a budget tire.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Jeez, I'd kill to get 8700 miles out of ANY rear tire! RS 2 going on soon on my bike, OEM tire only at 4300 miles, doubt I'll make it to 5k miles before cords.

OE rear tire lasted 4600 miles. 

Rear Roadsmarts 2 to 3 lasted 6400 to 8700 miles not including one punctured tire. At 8700 miles wear bars were gone.  I would have changed it 1000 miles sooner if I had been paying attention. 

OE front tire lasted 8600 miles.

Front Roadsmart 3 tires lasted 9000 to 10,000 miles.

I have been very surprised at my tire mileage on the FJ compared to previous bikes.