What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, piotrek said:

More of a make-work project than a necessity, but useful... rigged my garage door remote to work with 12V power. Already had the opener board embedded in a small project box, but made some space for a tiny 3.3V 300mA voltage regulator, purchased here. Added power supply wires to connect to a switched source (the thing has a 2mA no-load draw). The other set of wires go to a push button switch at side of the bike. The opener fits neatly into the space next to the seat lock assembly.

assy_open.thumb.JPG.434ff3d5d96b35909608a5aa3834fa38.JPG

Mines been here on the deflector for a couple of years. I take it off when I wash the bike, if I remember too. Still has the original battery. 

855DB14B-2353-48AD-873F-793B82ED8C58.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let’s go Brandon

Here's my simple - and dare I say - obvious solution, one of three (3) garage-door remote control 'clickers', others being in the car and in the garage adjacent to the door into the house.   Cost about $15.   It's mounted on the lhs 'bar (clutch side) so that I can press it with my left hand while keeping the other on the front brake to avoid inadvertent reversing while stopped on my sloping driveway.   Tiny $3 battery - second pic - should last forever!   

The red ball is superglued to the actual press-button, which was too tiny to be readily activated with gloved fingers: the ball gives immediate effect.   And the 'ball' is actually a pearl pinched from my wife's bead-working collection, with a flat angle-ground onto it and added red nail-varnish. 

The clicker is held in a small push-fit plastic slide-in housing and is immediately and easily removeable when leaving the bike or washing it.

(You can also see my patented DIY anti-glare display-screen hood in the first pic...)

P1050101.JPG

P1050102.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Haaa! I got up early and went for a short 150 mile ride (it’s better than nothing) before snowmagedden hits us tomorrow. Stopped at a Waffle House about 80 miles from my home for a delicious fiesta omelette and some sausage. Life is good. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

I discovered that the North American (Canada and the USA) recommended oil change mileages in the owner's manual (every 6,000kms, or 4,000 miles) - are MUCH less than the recommendations for service in the owner's manuals in the rest of the world: (10,000kms, or 6,000 miles). Same recommendations for oil - YAMALUBE, or API SG or better OR JASO MA. Same for the FZ07/MT07 series. So I ask "Why does Yamaha recommend more frequent service for the North American motorcycles?"

Edited by FJr

2 hours ago, FJr said:

I discovered that the North American (Canada and the USA) recommended oil change mileages in the owner's manual (every 6,000kms, or 4,000 miles) - are MUCH less than the recommendations for service in the owner's manuals in the rest of the world: (10,000kms, or 6,000 miles). Same recommendations for oil - YAMALUBE, or API SG or better OR JASO MA. Same for the FZ07/MT07 series. So I ask "Why does Yamaha recommend more frequent service for the North American motorcycles?"

because they know we're lazy. If they say 4000 they know we will get to it around 6000 ish and it'll still be ok. If they told us 6000 ish, it would probably be done closer to 10,000 miles ;D  Haha, jk, I do mine at the start of each season, and then depending on how many miles I'll do another round in the mid/late part of the season. I dont actually know the reason why it would be different and this is the first I've heard of it

• Haha 1

The flat matte black finish of the OE hard panniers is pretty drab, IMHO.   I had thought seriously about painting them as I had on an earlier model, but decided against it as I was not able to find a spray-can with the exact colour match, and anything less wouldn't do.   On my previous Tracer I was fortunate to get a paint that matched exactly the gunmetal colour of the tank - this time, no such luck!

So I laid down a couple of pinstripe tapes, left over from the application to the channel along the bike under the tank, and a reflective patch, finishing-off with a raised/ 3D effect 'Yamaha' decal.   The pair of decals cost me under $5, delivered within a few days of ordering, and are an exact match to both the colour and gloss of the bike's Lava Red paintwork.  

These touches will give a visual lift to and will 'lighten' the otherwise dull look of the panniers, I believe.

In the pic below the colours are all over the place, but trust me that the pinstripes are a fairly good match to the bike, and the reflective patch is red, not orange! 

LATER EDIT: I had originally thought that I might buy the genuine Yamaha decals as found on the front fairings of the bike, but they turned out to be >$120 the pair!

P1050111.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

The flat matte black finish of the OE hard panniers is pretty drab, IMHO.   I had thought seriously about painting them as I had on an earlier model, but decided against it as I was not able to find a spray-can with the exact colour match, and anything less wouldn't do.   On my previous Tracer I was fortunate to get a paint that matched exactly the gunmetal colour of the tank - this time, no such luck!

So I laid down a couple of pinstripe tapes, left over from the application to the channel along the bike under the tank, and a reflective patch, finishing-off with a raised/ 3D effect 'Yamaha' decal.   The pair of decals cost me under $5, delivered within a few days of ordering, and are an exact match to both the colour and gloss of the bike's Lava Red paintwork.  

These touches will give a visual lift to and will 'lighten' the otherwise dull look of the panniers, I believe.

In the pic below the colours are all over the place, but trust me that the pinstripes are a good match to the bike, and the reflective patch is red, not orange!

P1050111.JPG

@wordsmith - that looks good and breaks up the flat black nicely.  Where did you find the 3D Yamaha Decals?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

E Bay Motorcycle Parts and accessories, look under 'badges and decals'. Or 'seller' below...

SITE_EMAIL_SHIPPING_3x.png

REDLAND BAY, Queensland 4165
Australia
SITE_EMAIL_CAL_3x.png  
Estimated delivery:
Fri, 01 Feb - Mon, 04 Feb

3D YAMAHA Sticker Decal Badge Emblem Logo Bike Quad Motorcycle Petrol Fuel Tank

3D YAMAHA Sticker Decal Badge Emblem Logo Bike Quad Motorcycle Petrol Fuel Tank  
Money Back Guarantee
Item ID: 261302168772
Item price: AU $4.99
Seller: ezyshopau2013 (55002)
Check order statusSITE_EMAIL_ARROW_3X.png
Edited by wordsmith
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Following @new1709rider’s lead, I also treated mine to a spa day.  The FJ was disgustingly dirty after about 500 miles of wet roads over the last couple of weekends, but it cleaned up nicely.   

Hoping for a dry Sunday morning to get out and ride!

06D8958F-B052-47DC-B8B0-4AE0B9908682.thumb.jpeg.14a0f8b5b71086b78b6935db346dcf3b.jpeg

• Supporting Member
On 1/27/2019 at 11:43 AM, coachluciano said:

I'm not sure what  crack addiction feels like but I can attest to the addiction of removing stock parts from an FJ-09 and adding some bling.  Rizoma Circuit 959 Reflectors - if it wasn't 12 deg Fahrenheit, i'd give you a report on what the world looks like behind the bike. 

DSC_3518.jpg

DSC_3519.jpg

Damn you @coachluciano!   Yet another example of ‘things I didn’t know I needed’ that have appeared on this forum... 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

The weather was beautiful Saturday so I took the FJ up into the north GA mountains to meet some coworkers for a cabin stay.  The ride up was 70 and sunny.  A night of poker, beer and tequila shots had me waking up wondering "Do I feel as look as I rough?!?"

Saturday night it rained and by 11am, even the yard and dirt drive was soggy soft mud.  Thankfully the FJ was still upright, but the gravel and dirt hill that I skidded all the way down with ABS popping was going to be a challenge.  A rav4 (2wd) and a another 2wd SUV failed to make it up and reversed/slid back to the bottom multiple times each.  The Tacoma and Ford F-150 trucks with 4wd made it to the top... but if 2wd failed, how is a one wheel drive on Michelin Road 5's supposed to make it up when the ABS had the rear wheel skipping all the way down in the dry?!?

Well, I decided to give it a shot before the 2wd vehicles ripped and tore up the hill and ruts any further.  I even stalled at one portion and honestly thought I was going to tip into the deep mud rut, but managed to hit the starter and made it to the top!   The 2wd vehicles eventually got a running start and the key for them was to NOT touch the brakes, bounce all over the place and get by the mud on momentum.  Did I mention the FJ-09 TCS is awesome?   It's awesome.

• Thumbsup 1