What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

1 hour ago, ballon said:

Just fitted SW Motech Trax Top Box, completes the set now with the panniers.

Any pictures? And welcome to the forum.👋

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

41 minutes ago, BBB said:

Any pictures? And welcome to the forum.👋

Here's a picture including one of the panniers.  I have also fitted a Corbin seat (brilliant) a Puig touring screen, heated grips (Oxford) and a Kaoko cruise control.IMG_4192.thumb.jpg.a6a4bbf1314dd4ad4a1c6488a643173e.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, piotrek said:

I had this very same setup at one point... the Cosmo bracket and the SW-Motech GPS case on a long-ish RAM extension. I found that the rig vibrated like mad and there was a lot of glare from the case window. BTW... there is an updated (stiffened) version of the Como plate. I have a 'naked' Nuvi GPS mounted on a short arm, and use a Glare Stomper sun shade. I think the trick to this is to keep it short and light. Fingers crossed this works for you.

I used the shortest arm i could find and have the stiffened version. No vibration problems. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:25 AM, ballon said:

Here's a picture including one of the panniers.  I have also fitted a Corbin seat (brilliant) a Puig touring screen, heated grips (Oxford) and a Kaoko cruise control.IMG_4192.thumb.jpg.a6a4bbf1314dd4ad4a1c6488a643173e.jpg

Do you like the Puig screen?

23 minutes ago, reiny said:

Do you like the Puig screen?

To be honest I haven't done many miles with it yet though it does seem to do the job, certainly better than the original, I'm 6'2" so buffeting was a bit of an issue.  I'm just planning a trip to the Ardennes so will give it a good test then.

Tinker, those handgaurds were for a 2004-2011 650 vstrom. They were a bit of trouble to fit up. I used a dremel tool with a sanding drum and burr to cut clearance for cables and other parts to get a fit. And as I recall I had to use a combination of hardware from the fj-09 and what came with the guards to get them mounted. You have to get a bit creative. 

I do like the results, closer to the hands and much more effective than the originals, and in my opinion better looking. Also as a bonus extra clearance at full lock so as to prevent interference with after market wind shields. 

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, new1709rider said:

I do like the results, closer to the hands and much more effective than the originals, and in my opinion better looking. Also as a bonus extra clearance at full lock so as to prevent interference with after market wind shields. 

I also have the VStrom hand guards and agree with your findings.  They work much better, look much better, and offer better clearance on aftermarket screens than oem hand guards. - And only $60 on Amazon.

Of course they dont have a metal backbone like Bark Busters but this isn't an offroad or adventure bike so you wont be tagging trees like a dirtbike.  

Like you said, if you have a Dremel and a simple sanding block then its really easy to trim-to-fit.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

17 hours ago, new1709rider said:

Tinker, those handgaurds were for a 2004-2011 650 vstrom. They were a bit of trouble to fit up. I used a dremel tool with a sanding drum and burr to cut clearance for cables and other parts to get a fit. And as I recall I had to use a combination of hardware from the fj-09 and what came with the guards to get them mounted. You have to get a bit creative. 

Thanks for that, I had a pair in my "extras" trunk and took a quick look at them for fittment but went with the KTM handguards. I might take a look again for shits and grins. Gotta get my wifes bike back together first and do the valve clearances on my FJ before I get further side tracked by other non necessary tasks.

Cheers

On Jan 3rd I posted details of my DIY flashing/ pulsing LED rear brake lights that I had just installed.   Today I relocated the LEDs and the mounting bracket in preparation for fitting a fender eliminator, as the LEDs would have interfered with the fender eliminator, which will be  moved right up and under the rear light/ brake lamp housing. 

It was one of those simple five minute jobs that took most of the morning, as re-wiring was also necessary.   I moved the LEDs about 7"/ 17cm further back and attached them on their bracket to the back of the luggage rack - they are now the rearmost part of the bike.   

Viewed from behind the bike, the cluster of lights - brake lamp plus the flashing LEDs - still give me a good mass of lights all in one place, thereby maximising their impact and effect (I hope!).

Pix below: 124 - no lights. 125 - rear running lamp only.  126 - rear brake lamp only.  127 - added LEDs which flash/ pulse several times when either brake is applied, then stay on in steady state.   Brighter than a thousand suns!   Note the increased mass of lumens.

P1050124.JPG

P1050125.JPG

P1050126.JPG

P1050127.JPG

P1050135.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Took the BRC2 on a cold, wet, nasty day in Phoenix (ironic, i know). Bike performed very well in tight turns, emergency stopping, and agility course. Driver could have been much better, lol.

Also had the opportunity to take my budget Bilt rain gear for its first spin. It works. All in all a good but cold day!

• Thumbsup 2