2021 GT Updates

Darold

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

Looks like you have all the "economy upgrades" 🙂 so not surprised at the mileage.  The ONLY thing I liked about my BMWs engine (F800GT) was it ability to be frugal.  It was very sensitive to speed and could get very good mileage at low speeds.  From what I've seen on the Tracer GT it doesn't get as big an increase in mileage with drops in speed - I'm talking like 45mph vs 80MPH but at 70 to 80 is about the same or 1 to 2 mpg less but with an additional 0.8 gallons in the tank so range is improved.  I rode my BMW 1,400 miles and traded then rode Tracer GT 1,400 miles back on mostly the same roads so got a very good comparison between the two.  

Still super happy with my 2020 Tracer GT - puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.  Like the 2021 Tracer and may trade at some point.  I cant see the future and although bought at the end of the Tracer 900 GT run made a good decision at that point in time.  

Economy upgrades LOL you only know what you can see on the right side from a distance God knows I saved a ton doing all the work myself but I still have 3000 in parts including Forks shock cruise control flash brakes saddle bars farkles Etc

20201121_180347.jpg

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, HGP61 said:

Remember that some of us use proper gallons not your puny smaller US gallons...

We may have puny smaller gallons but we also do the much longer and superior miles. K's are for sissy's.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

Let’s go Brandon

10 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I filled up with E0 91 yesterday with those itybitty gallons for 2.85 USD

So our miles per gallon are a lot cheaper than your imperial gallons let alone liters😎

I felt bad paying $2.34 today for 91 non ethanol, guess I got a good deal. 87 octane is $1.65 here 

Edited by Shizzle
  • Thumbsup 1

23 minutes ago, fjrchuck said:

$1.65 to $1.80 a gallon here in West Michigan as well...............I tell everyone it's a GREAT time to own an F-150! 😎

I can't wait to scoop up one of those Ford broncos that will be up for sale when gas goes back to 3-4 bucks a gallon.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Shizzle said:

I felt bad paying $2.34 today for 91 non ethanol, guess I got a good deal. 87 octane is $1.65 here 

2 hours ago, fjrchuck said:

$1.65 to $1.80 a gallon here in West Michigan as well...............I tell everyone it's a GREAT time to own an F-150! 😎

I don't remember how many decades it has been since I paid less than $2.50 for regular 87. 

Gas prices on the West Coast are terrible, this was taken a little over a year ago on a road trip in Northern California.

image.thumb.png.f206858a59ffdfe8d5cb9a10205826f7.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Those new wheels are a big question mark,IMO. Seem mighty thin, wondering how well they'll hold up to some major pothole interaction.... ( yeah I know: don't hit the potholes- but in the real world shite happens)

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 2

Left my MT09 to my dealer for sale yesterday. Now I have to wait 4 months before my new ducati red Tracer 9 arrives. Looking forward to this. Seen all the pics and videos and I really like how it looks. I heard the rumours in September that the 2021 version would be a big update so I decided to wait. I think I did the right choice.

Edited by Zafiro
  • Thumbsup 6

• Premium Member
On 11/21/2020 at 11:58 AM, Shizzle said:

Harley Davidson is the King of adding little tidbits every year to entice you to trade. Been there done it. One of the reasons I left the brand. They went from a 96" to 103" to 107" motor on their touring bikes within just a few short years. I will say their 103" motor I had in my 2011 Road King Classic was the best. Never rode the 107" bikes. Seems Yamaha is taking on the HD point of view. Give them what they want this year then add a little more each year to sell bikes. 

Well they're in the business of selling motorcycles, so yeah.

I suspect the main reason Yamaha didn't offer cruise control on the original FJ-09 was so that people would have a reason to upgrade when they came out with the GT just a couple of years later. All the hardware was there except the control buttons, which they already had on the FJR and Super Tenere. It would have been trivial to add cruise control to the FJ-09's firmware. 

But some of these other new features, like the IMU and semi-active suspension cost time and money to develop, so it makes sense that these are offered later and result in a higher MSRP. The Tracer has been a wildly popular model for Yamaha, and there is direct competition from Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph, and BMW. BMW openly stated that the F900XR was aimed at the Tracer. Given this, Yamaha needed an update to maintain sales. Rapid development cycles like this used to be reserved for supersports, but now there seems to be an arms race among sport tourers. I won't complain about that. 

At $14.9k the Tracer 9GT isn't quite the bargain it used to be, but in terms of value for features it still compares favorably to its competition. The USA isn't getting the base Tracer, but maybe that leaves open the possibility that they'll finally bring the Tracer 700 here. 

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, keithu said:

Rapid development cycles like this used to be reserved for supersports, but now there seems to be an arms race among sport tourers. I won't complain about that. 

Nor will I complain...  it’s a good time to be looking for ‘real world’ motorcycles.  

• Thumbsup 4

I have a 2019 GT and love the bike apart from some really annoying niggles, which I assumed bothered many ie:

Thumbwheel on throttle grip

Daft location of ignition barrel

Fuel gauge segmented from full to half

Heated grips not having a dedicated button

Buttons not backlit

Forward sloping seat

Wind buffet from screen

I was REALLY looking forward to the new Tracer and assumed that most if not all of those flaws would be fixed.  I won't know until i ride it about the seat and screen but the fact that the other points haven't been addressed is seriously disappointing.  I will back to back test ride it against the Tiger 900 but at the moment, despite the Tigers' engine not being anywhere near as exciting as the Tracers', I suspect that my next bike will have a Triumph badge on it :(

40 minutes ago, Merse2 said:

I have a 2019 GT and love the bike apart from some really annoying niggles, which I assumed bothered many ie:

Thumbwheel on throttle grip

Fuel gauge segmented from full to half

Heated grips not having a dedicated button

Buttons not backlit

Forward sloping seat

Wind buffet from screen

I was REALLY looking forward to the new Tracer and assumed that most if not all of those flaws would be fixed.  I won't know until i ride it about the seat and screen but the fact that the other points haven't been addressed is seriously disappointing.  I will back to back test ride it against the Tiger 900 but at the moment, despite the Tigers' engine not being anywhere near as exciting as the Tracers', I suspect that my next bike will have a Triumph badge on it :(

flip the top part of your handlebar clamps, makes it easier to get a hand in that area.

I test rode the Tiger 800 XRt in between 2 tracer 900 test rides... my impressions of the Tracer was 'wow'.. the Tiger was 'Bleh'... I've been looking at the new Tiger 900 GT reviews and it sounds like they added some more character and grunt to it but gonna be hard to over come the Bleh factor... and since 100% of the time you're on the bike, you're ON the bike... that 'wow' factor is pretty important, to me anyway.  Looks like the tiger gets a bit better range... probably by replacing 'wow' with 'bleh'... I love how the Tiger looks and has a nice big dash but have seen reviews where folks can't find a dash theme that is all that great and sounds like the dash 'wow' factor quickly turns into 'Bleh'.. However, if the Tiger does it for you then that's all that matters... it's actually none of anyone's business what YOU want in a bike and what makes you smile...

Edited by mellow
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
On 11/22/2020 at 2:44 PM, micah2074 said:

We may have puny smaller gallons but we also do the much longer and superior miles. K's are for sissy's.

The UK still uses miles for speed and distance measurement.