What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
going to give the "Beak" a try

and yes, for those observant folks, it is an aftermarket horn.
I really like the look of the beak on our FJ's, I just really dislike the price.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Supporting Member
Replaced the chain and sprockets at 16K Miles, getting ready for a multi day trip in about a week.

Where are you headed on your trip?  A few of us are leaving after Labor Day for a week-long ride through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Oregon. - Lolo Pass, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Highway, Bighorn Mountains, Tetons, Hell's Canyon area, etc. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Replaced the chain and sprockets at 16K Miles, getting ready for a multi day trip in about a week.

Where are you headed on your trip?  A few of us are leaving after Labor Day for a week-long ride through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Oregon. - Lolo Pass, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Highway, Bighorn Mountains, Tetons, Hell's Canyon area, etc. 

Your trip sounds more fun than mine. I'm riding with some folks I've met from my last few jobs. Not all of the participants like to ride very far each day. We are going from Kent WA to Leavenworth WA, roaming around the middle of Washington State, and back across Mt. Rainier to Kent. 3 days, with good company, but not the route I would have planned.

going to give the "Beak" a try 
and yes, for those observant folks, it is an aftermarket horn.
I really like the look of the beak on our FJ's, I just really dislike the price.
I agree with you price wise and aesthetics wise for sure. Fortunately, I procured one at less than half price by a loyal FJ-09 forum patron. 
My wife said "trying to make your bike look BAD-ASS huh?"

• Premium Member
Put a GPS mount. It wasn't the nicer Cosmo moto one, it's the one off Amazon. 9000e506f19711155ad0d49c1a6f7c46.jpgf746b47ab3c4d77dd6b14534bdef0c32.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Installed new pair of RoadSmart 3 tires and finally remembered about the 90 degree stems (didn't care for the tiny caps, so bought these). Kept old rubber as its still good for ~3,000km... I'm just not prepared to test that on a longer trip. tongue.png
I have often wondered about these 90 deg stems - do they not throw out the wheel balance?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Installed new pair of RoadSmart 3 tires and finally remembered about the 90 degree stems (didn't care for the tiny caps, so bought these). Kept old rubber as its still good for ~3,000km... I'm just not prepared to test that on a longer trip. tongue.png
I have often wondered about these 90 deg stems - do they not throw out the wheel balance?

I’ve ran them for 30k miles. The wheels balance fine and checking and adding air are much easier.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
I’ve ran them for 30k miles. The wheels balance fine and checking and adding air are much easier.
I've also run a collective 40K miles with them, and had zero issues. 
Anything that makes checking air pressure easier is a bonus for safety.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

My experience is that when I added the 90 degree stems, I seem to be adding an extra 1/2 oz or so in wheel weights than before.  The convenience is worth it.  I was in Arkansas recently.  Checked my tire pressure and my rear was about 2 lbs low.   Went across the street to the gas station and their air pump chuck went straight in line with the hose; rather than an at angle.  If I didn't have 90 degree stems I wouldn't have been able to fill the tire .. without a lot of work.

Today (yesterday actually) I did 250 miles of mostly 2-lane country roads in western Maine and Northern NH. It was an interesting ride because the last time I traveled the route I was on my ST 1300.  So I was able to do a good comparo of how each bike handled the same roads. The route was basically Rt 16 from Kingfield Maine to Portsmouth NH.

Long story short: Compared to the ST my FJ was a twitchy girl, especially in the high speed sweepers. I could feel that shorter wheel base letting the bike wander a bit in 70 mph corners, especially if the road surface was bumpy. Just not as planted as my STeed.  But a joy to rail on sections of the road with brand new tarmac. I was lucky to ride stretches so new that no lines were yet painted on that beautiful black stuff.

I mostly used compression braking setting up for corners. In a few places where I felt I carried too much heat into the turn leaning the FJ over more got us around just fine. The bike really is a great leaner. I've not touched-down the feelers on the stock pegs as I did regularly on the ST.  On the FJ the outer edges my boots were dragging but not the feelers.  Getting used to this increased lean angle is taking some time. Plus I have low confidence in the Dunlop OEM tires (ran Angel GTs on ST) and that gets in the way too.

I was more aware of miles traveled on the FJ... because of the fuel range issue.  Got the flashing gage at about 190 miles.  Big difference from the 300 mile range of the ST with its massive 7.5 gal tank.  I've taken to filling the FJ up to slightly above the tank baffle holding the bike level.  Every little bit helps.

I experienced less leg fatigue on the FJ due to the greater leg room.  But overall the FJ offers a more physical riding experience that the old ST.

It was a joy to wrestle with for five hours and I have no complaints about the comfort seat.  For longer rides I now wear bicycle shorts under Fieldsheer leather riding pants and the combo works great.  Anyone want to buy an AirHawk seat cushion... slightly used?

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Installed the MT-09 Adventure Pegs last night and went on a nice ride today.

I don't think the bike is super buzzy, but the combination Grip Puppies and Adventure Pegs do a great job of reducing/eliminating what little vibration there was.

• Supporting Member

Long story short: Compared to the ST my FJ was a twitchy girl, especially in the high speed sweepers. I could feel that shorter wheel base letting the bike wander a bit in 70 mph corners, especially if the road surface was bumpy. Just not as planted as my STeed.  But a joy to rail on sections of the road with brand new tarmac. I was lucky to ride stretches so new that no lines were yet painted on that beautiful black stuff.

With upgraded suspension that twitchiness and wandering doesn't happen.  I was out riding with my brother a week ago and we got into some high speed sweepers between 90-105mph and she carves a line like a scalpel.  100% confidence and control.

I usually set a fair bit of rebound damping in my suspension so I dont have the wallowing springy feel when charging through a corner.

I was on a road-trip in Northern California with a buddy who also owns an FJ with stock suspension, we swapped bikes for awhile through some nice fast, twisty roads, later when we swapped back he immediately said "I'm convinced, when we get home I'm going to upgrade my suspension".

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Now that the new GT and non-GT Tracer are becoming widely distributed we do need, I think, for posts to clarify which vintage of bike is being talked about, otherwise confusion may reign supreme, and we don't want that, do we! :-S

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I combat the twitchiness of my non-GT FJ by reducing my corner entry speed a bit then using maintenance throttle to keep the suspension and chassis in tension. Without any throttle in corners, the FJ is very unsettled.

'15 FJ09