What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

I bought a couple of liner bags for my 900 GT. Are they perfect? No. Are the handy? Yes!

And I have a confession to make. My dealer had a low-milage demo Versys 1000 SE Tourer from 2019 for sale at a very interesting price (5000 euro discount). I couldn't resist to make a test ride on it, as I suspected it would be more suited for long distance (high way) traveling than my GT.

And yes it is much more suited than the GT for long distances. BUT: after riding it for less than 20 minutes I decided I wouldn't trade in my GT for the Versys even if the dealer begged me for it. Sure, the Versys 1000 is a comfy, steady bike with lots of bonuses. Made for touring. But man, that bike isn't as much fun as the Tracer.

If I were to ride 900km to Austria on the highway, the Versys would be the bike of choice for sure. But after arriving in Austria I would want my Tracer to be there in order to really enjoy those curvy mountain roads! The engine characteristics and the handling of the Tracer are so much more made for fun mountain cornering than the Versys is.

It almost feels like the Tracer turns at a softly whispered command, whereas you need to yell at the Versys and then hope it obeys. Nope, no Versys for me. Or any of the bigger touring bikes for that matter.

Edited by Michiel900GT
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

510947759_2019-10-1912_33_24.thumb.jpg.936377258b63a57b40957d0dcd2d32e0.jpg

Brought her home :)  

Wow, what a ride.  I mean, the power is awesome, the handling great, the suspension much better than I expected, but... I wasn't prepared for how damn comfortable it was.  And while my old MT07 had the same, great, upright riding position being so much higher up gives you a crazy good view of traffic around you.  I was right in that the MT07 was more "raw" fun in that you push it to it's limits, and enjoy pure hooliganism, but this delivers hugely better performance, and feels way, way more stable at high speed while also feeling comfortable.  A lot of that raw joy on the MT07 is from things feeling faster than they actually are.  I mean, 180 on the MT07 you had screaming wind pressure, the motor howling, and kind of sketchy feeling suspension.   This does 180 like it's a Sunday stroll.  Wow.

• Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member

I took mine on a 300+ mile day trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. It was a perfect day (albeit cold as ***t this morning, thank you, heated grips) and we had a blast.

hFziQwiPttKRhFLUhY6NsGyK4tejyNm3vEn-2XVXVa4BlXZlZuSlhRKS_V51_c1DOX-fpUlj7p2O5Cytb0IQ-iNQXLFqANE3j5TKTqwFVVDdjWI-Dgu3vo0rh-zfesZeTQTKCEfTZqb3S-SZThJ2IAqi-y-kRJh_Eo4SseAmCgv74f95T-l56kGuGbc0-yCh3kE3eYpwhTyd30-I3CPBb2MU2V9bFiBzDY5-VwS4vYTBG7vNlUpvMsbxRUOPreD0cvUOjhaqcom7_Vw08dtUiaGKsRWWItBs_yBu6NRuRVB_A8mADNLk3oRbbqLWxA5zYyPS7L0EpBbOSKmcgmCA7hXgm21gA35JyYSiW_5AiL4GchgCYtpwwEE2w_I0RDIxG8bJ1La1o9BtgGRmFSca-zQi4yVaixc44ub6oTYqH-HJamKZBO3Uh5jzbIguxpefuYhwKb1f1cBeSghn6x55QVIGrc0TyoIJWA6BDm34dK9BO3644AUhYILDRPJ4Z1Lc_w0ccNgFwOo79s2DOpc9uLMhaVLqnUWEkd36E_qpn9ADc371rwXTalqF7dm6s_JUDOEj5isBoSQhak6q31ly6LI-eptQAenZeTWoG6H8tHBo-rKeHwOfjs5IxviEwmVjMOfWE9elepbe3tEdzp4NmB7or8Ct2LzFqgT2GVktE0aASHqu141XCQ=w678-h903-no

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

7 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Best motorcycle accessory I reckon.  👍

For sure.  Every bike I own gets them, and right away.  Even in nice weather on a long ride heated grips on low can keep your hands feeling much better; in anything remotely cold they'd damn wonderful.  Frozen hands are awful.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
On 10/5/2019 at 5:47 PM, coachluciano said:

Added some gas cap bling. No more key. Yeah. However pretty sure I had vacuum issues initially as the first 2 quick trips the bike did not want to start properly. Nerve ever had that happen. Took cap off and back on and all good. 

15B77930-91C1-49CA-8731-48CF2CD08FC9.jpeg

Emailed  Driven Racing tech support this morning because I had the same issue after a 2nd refill. They are west coast I’m east coast. Not only did they reply before their office hours but emailed 2 times to make sure I got the reply to call them back. The problem was me. Slightly overfilled both times. Plugged the vent hole. That’s it. . Super impressed with their support. They are sending me new o-rings as well to replace what I have now. @texscottyd you are good to purchase. This problem only occurred during the two refills sines I added the cap. Cap has been on and off multiple times between each refill with no issue so I’m convinced the problem was me. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

Anticipating the winter ride I took off the pathetic Yamaha hand guards and installed Barkbuster Blizzards. Only a couple rises so far. We'll see.

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5545 2.JPG

IMG_5546 2.JPG

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

5 hours ago, 2linby said:

Anticipating the winter ride I took off the pathetic Yamaha hand guards and installed Barkbuster Blizzards. Only a couple rises so far. We'll see.

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5545 2.JPG

IMG_5546 2.JPG

I use these every winter... been good for 3 winters so far. not perfect but overall i have been very pleased.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Can these Blizzards fit over the stock hand guards or must the hand guards be removed?

Also I see you did not cut holes for the mirrors.  Do they fit easily around the mirror stalks?

Thanks, cb

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Rode two-up on the FJ for the first time.

Took wifey for a short toot down the NH coast and we all survived.  She reported the passenger foot pegs are too high and the little FJ "rattles" a lot. (My ST 1300 spoiled her.)  We won't be touring two-up, but the occasional short ride is good for the relationship!!

Stock suspension was up to the task approaching the GVW limit and bike felt fine with a passenger. But I was hyper alert for speed bumps, pot holes and other low-end nastys as that oil pan drain skimmed mere mm above the road surface!

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09