What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

5 minutes ago, sirepair said:

Well, started my day by clipping a deer about 3/4 of a mile from my house on my way to work.  I looked down at the bars to turn on my fog lights and when I looked up, all I saw was a brown flash from the left.  Don't think I even grabbed the brakes (I usually cover the front lever with 2 fingers). I think I just got her hind quarters.

I didn't go down, just rolled down the road a couple hundred yards and stopped at a drive.  Got off and gave bike a quick visual, noted a nasty crack in the front fender, but everything else seemed ok.

Rode back to the house, snapped a couple pics.  Took off my gear and, after informing the wife, jumped in the car to go to work.

Will give "Thorn" a good exam when I get home tonight, but everything felt OK on the short ride home.

Damn deer....

20190422_064006.jpg

20190422_063938.jpg

That sux!... glad it wasn't worse..

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sirepair said:

Well, started my day by clipping a deer about 3/4 of a mile from my house on my way to work.  I looked down at the bars to turn on my fog lights and when I looked up, all I saw was a brown flash from the left.  Don't think I even grabbed the brakes (I usually cover the front lever with 2 fingers). I think I just got her hind quarters.

I didn't go down, just rolled down the road a couple hundred yards and stopped at a drive.  Got off and gave bike a quick visual, noted a nasty crack in the front fender, but everything else seemed ok.

Rode back to the house, snapped a couple pics.  Took off my gear and, after informing the wife, jumped in the car to go to work.

Will give "Thorn" a good exam when I get home tonight, but everything felt OK on the short ride home.

Damn deer....

20190422_064006.jpg

20190422_063938.jpg

Glad you're ok after that.  I have an extra front fender if you want it.  It has some small paint blemishes (defective factory finish), but not real noticeable.  Yamaha replaced mine under warranty.

• Thumbsup 8

18 hours ago, 2linby said:

Made a comfortable center stand pull out of 3/4" ID heater hose on the left passenger foot peg boss.  I removed the bracket (boss) used a 4" die grinder to smooth out the inside only of the upper radius of the bend, cleaned the edges with a file, then  cut the hose to  length, cut it down the middle and used electrical tape to secure it in place. Just a prototype for now.  But sooo much more comfortable on your hand when you lift the bike onto the center stand.

IMG_5179.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

You're actually solving a problem I didn't know I had. I have always used the passenger grab bar to get the bike up onto the center stand. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, sirepair said:

Will give "Thorn" a good exam when I

20190422_064006.jpg

20190422_063938.jpg

@sirepair - Glad to hear that you’re OK after the deer encounter.   It’s a scary experience and something that never leaves the back of your mind afterward.  Luckily my previous bike was the only thing that got damaged when I hit a deer, it was totaled and I was able to walk away with only extensive bruising. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

@sirepair - I’m also very glad to hear you escaped personally unscathed from the deer encounter...  the bike sustaining only minimal damage makes it an even better outcome.   

I center-punched a rather large doe many years ago on my VFR750, and it was a gruesome experience.   I somehow managed to stay upright, and was very fortunate that it didn’t clean me clear off the bike at speed... I still ended up with a dislocated wrist, cracked sternum, and massive bruises across most of my torso.  Both the deer and my beloved VFR were total losses.   As you describe, it was a zero-warning impact, and I literally never saw it coming...  scary, scary stuff.  

Glad you’re ok!   Try and avoid solid furry objects in the future...  :) 

• Premium Member

Thanks for the well-wishes!

I've been scouring the interwebs looking for the HMAFRPTs (Handlebar Mounted Anti Forest Rat Photon Torpedos) but I think SpaceX is currently out of stock!

At least @BuilderBob has hooked me up with a fender!

• Thumbsup 4
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, sirepair said:

Thanks for the well-wishes!

I've been scouring the interwebs looking for the HMAFRPTs (Handlebar Mounted Anti Forest Rat Photon Torpedos) but I think SpaceX is currently out of stock!

At least @BuilderBob has hooked me up with a fender!

We need a Star Wars grade deflector shield... Maybe George Lucas has a few spares...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, FB4004 said:

You're actually solving a problem I didn't know I had. I have always used the passenger grab bar to get the bike up onto the center stand. 

Same here. Glad it works for the OP but for me, the Tracer has to be the easiest bike I’ve ever had to get on the centerstand. My 07 Sprint was the absolute worst. 

2 hours ago, 3sum said:

Same here. Glad it works for the OP but for me, the Tracer has to be the easiest bike I’ve ever had to get on the centerstand. My 07 Sprint was the absolute worst. 

The worst was the old Concours C10. Absolutely the most miserable design on earth. My FJ09 is a breeze. I just made it more comfortable that's all.

• Thumbsup 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, captainscarlet said:

Today I have mostly been ordering one of these:

translogic-intellishift-quickshift.jpg
JYSKRACING.DK

Meta description-translogic-intellishift- quickshift

And for no other reason than I bloody well want one!

CS

That's as good a reason as any.

Let’s go Brandon

15 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

That's as good a reason as any.

Indeed, the very best of reasons!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

I replaced the stock mirrors with bar end mirrors today.  I had cheap shogun polymer bar end sliders that were slightly too big, so I attached the bar ends to a drill and then ran it like a lathe while I took small amounts off with a Dremel.  I got the bike master clamp on mirrors from Revzilla.  I was surprised at how heavy they are, so maybe they'll damp some of the bar vibrations.

I really like that I no longer see my elbows unless I lean a little.  I don't have to pull my elbows in to see behind me and they still have enough width to see the lanes to the side.  I could flip them, but the way they're oriented they don't stick out beyond the bar end and there's a small gap between the mirror and the throttle tube.

Looking at the pictures makes me want a shorty smoked windshield now...

UR4AeYK.thumb.jpg.1b0e378469ee31c3ddfaf28cc2ed006d.jpg

yCda7Kw.thumb.jpg.bd8e683a539ea5acf203939de47ae109.jpg

ZZ9Oa9Q.thumb.jpg.0162972a5a30036c1384a4de7a82a06d.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1